Pond Street Nora

YEAH I REMEMBER HER, SHE WAS WELL KNOWN IN TOWN, GOD KNOWS HOW MANY YEARS SHE LASTED OUT THERE, SAD REALLY ISN`T IT.

USE TO ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE ON WORDSWORTH TOO, CALLED NODDY, DOES ANYONE REMEMBER HIM?

Anyone remember Nellie Wellow? She used to live on Donovan Road and once smashed all her doors up for firewood. The council replaced them, and she did the same again.

She was pretty scary when I was a kid.

And there was Don too who lived round there somewhere. He was disabled and rode around in a weird looking trolley/bike thing that he pedalled with his hands. He was always at Wednesday's home matches in the 60's.

Yup! I remember her, I used to pass her house on the bus and she used to stand outside her home with every pain of glass smashed..small woman with jamjar bottom specs...

And Donald, I think he was kicked by a horse when he was young. and spent the rest of his life in the wheelchair

Growing uo in the 60's at Southey, I remember her! but to us kids she was known as Ivy Wello , a very frightening figure with a foul mouth.

She got her name from the footwear she always wore, whatever the time of year, or whatever the weather, she would always be wearing wellingtons, which seemed to be two sizes to big.

As a young woman in tne sixties, I remember Nora in pond street, I caught my bus there every day,sadly she was found dead in the bus station, natural causes, so they say.

Originally posted by Saxon

No but I can remember Sammy, who used to hang around Margetson Crescent, where my dad had a shop

Sammy and Eddie Bedstead were actually the same person. He lived on Buchanan Crescent, next to the Parson Cross Hotel, with his ageing dad. His catch phrase was "Gizza fag". He used to help Cyril Deakin (Margetson shops) laying out the veg sometimes, for the price of 5 Park Drive Tipped. When you took the trouble to speak to him, he was quite a nice guy, but few ever did. For us kids growing up in the sixties, he was an ever present character. I've got a very rare foto of him, and once told a girlfriend that he was my dad - I never saw her again!!

Originally posted by elaine

As a young woman in tne sixties, I remember Nora in pond street, I caught my bus there every day,sadly she was found dead in the bus station, natural causes, so they say.

she didnt die in pondstreet she died in middlewood hospital of cancer in 1986

Originally posted by porsche

she didnt die in pondstreet she died in middlewood hospital of cancer in 1986

her full name was nora kathleen welburne,she married a man called thomas lee they had a baby together a littlle girl called kathleen, she had the baby in 1945 nora was in her early 30s.they split up and nora kept her little girl till she was 10 and she was taken off of her and put in a childrens home then fostered out till she was 18.her daughter knew about nora but because of the stigmar, kathleen didnt contact her mother,she was affraid of her as you all could understand...kathleen met a man and got married and nora saw them together once or twice and would swear at them saying ff........ men ect ect...so they tryed to avoid nora at all costs... my mum kathleen was ashamed to be who she was for a long time and didnt think she was good enough but believe me it doesnt matter where you come from its the person you are inside, and like i was saying you coundnt meet a nicer person (nothing like her mum in tempermant,)if my mum swears i look at her suprised for she hardly swears, kathleen has done well for herself regardless of the past,she has a wonderful caring husband a daughter who thinks the world of her a graddaughter and grandson who adore her....nobody really knows what nora went through and in this day and age there is alot of people like her and we dont really take note but that was in the olden days times have really changed, nora really hated men why only she knows and i bet alot of women might agree,she had a hard life.... SO FOLKS THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED TO NORA OF PONDSTREET.......from what her daughter recalls anyway ,can anybody fill in the space inbetween????? final thought you cant judge a book by the cover can you?????? nora died at 71 in 1986 in middlewood hospital of cancer and skin cancer we have the death certificate........x

Originally posted by oldtimer

Anybody remember Russian Edna? She used to frequent the Barleycorn, near Barkers Pool!

wasnt she murdered in high hazels park ?

Originally posted by Chloe

My nan used to tell me stories about Pond Street Nora when I was younger! The hole in the road... I wish it was still there, I used to love going in there with me dad! Am I right in saying that there was a 'Transport Executive' type thing in there??

Chloé

did your nan know nora?

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Cant be, she was as old as my gran and i,m 44.

She certainly looked old in the 60s but living rough like that could make you look older anyway.

Even if she had a baby in the 70s which i find it hard to believe she did, that was not the cause of her downfall.

Who ever the father was he was a brave guy.

did your gran know nora then?