Cannabis smokers everywhere!

Nobody should have to put up with drugged up louts littering the streets I for one dont want any young children seeing any drug abuse and growing up thinking this is normal behavior, perhaps these weed smoking morons could overcome thier paranoir and go get a job I have a friend who smokes this rubbish on a regular basis and over the years I have seen what damage it has done to his empty scull and these young kids puffing away in the park just dont realise how they will end up (MEDICAL PROOF IS AVAILABLE TOO YOU DOUBTERS)

Oh! The Irony.

I don't want to put up with people smoking anything on the streets and I don't want to put up with drunks on the streets; but hey! we can't have everything.

I find drunks far more of a nuisance and to be honest I have never heard of cannabis smoking wife abusers.

I therefore move that we make all tobacco and all products containing alcohol illegal.

Realistically this would be impossible to achieve and doctors' surgeries around the country would be rammed with people wanting prescriptions for uppers and downers so they could deal with everyday life.

Most of the people I know that smoke cannabis are employed in good jobs. For them it is a recreational drug and many prefer it to alcohol. There is the added benefit that they never turn up for work with a hangover like many who drink.

Live and let live I say.

AUTHOR: Charles Dickens (1812–70)

QUOTATION: “If the law supposes that,” said Mr. Bumble,… “the law is a ass—a idiot. If that’s the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience.”

ATTRIBUTION: CHARLES DICKENS, Oliver Twist, chapter 51, p. 489 (1970). First published serially 1837–1839.

Edited by Deerobe
Added Charles Dickins Quotation

You think 5 years for possession is lenient?

I think it's draconian.

If they ever got 5 years I swould not say it was lenient (about just right in my opinion). The trouble is they never get that or anything like it.

5 years for posessions of cannabis, yet only a 12 month driving ban and fine for drink driving. That's lunacy and if you think it's justified then you my friend are deluded...

Oh! The Irony.

I don't want to put up with people smoking anything on the streets and I don't want to put up with drunks on the streets; but hey! we can't have everything. I find drunks far more of a nuisance and to be honest I have never heard of cannabis smoking wife abusers.

I therefore move that we make all tobacco and all products containing alcohol illegal.

Realistically this would be impossible to achieve and doctors' surgeries around the country would be rammed with people wanting prescriptions for uppers and downers so they could deal with everyday life.

Most of the people I know that smoke cannabis are employed in good jobs. For them it is a recreational drug and many prefer it to alcohol. There is the added benefit that they never turn up for work with a hangover like many who drink.

Live and let live I say.

AUTHOR: Charles Dickens (1812–70)

QUOTATION: “If the law supposes that,” said Mr. Bumble,… “the law is a ass—a idiot. If that’s the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience.”

ATTRIBUTION: CHARLES DICKENS, Oliver Twist, chapter 51, p. 489 (1970). First published serially 1837–1839.

Why can't we have it? If the laws were properly policed then it could be achieved and society would be more pleasant for it.

Nope, our comments are perfectly in order. Of course you should break laws that are unjust. My morality is my own, I will not let the government dictate it to me. Now with that in mind, I think I'll roll a joint and take a relaxing stroll into town.

why not steal a car while you are at it? Afterall, you won't be told what is right or wrong but prefder to decide for yourself. that is the sort of mentality that people like Gary Glitter have, they think they know better than society what is right or wrong. Where does it end/

5 years for posessions of cannabis, yet only a 12 month driving ban and fine for drink driving. That's lunacy and if you think it's justified then you my friend are deluded...

Speaking as a taxpayer I would like to point out that it costs far more to keep a person in prison than it does to keep them out of it. Personally I don't want my hard earned taxes being used to lock up a few cannabis smokers. I would far rather the violent offenders were off the streets.

Making the punishment fit the crime is very difficult.

why not steal a car while you are at it? Afterall, you won't be told what is right or wrong but prefder to decide for yourself. that is the sort of mentality that people like Gary Glitter have, they think they know better than society what is right or wrong. Where does it end/

Try this simple exercise when considering any law.

1) Identify the victim

That's it. If there's a victim, then it's almost certainly morally wrong as well as illegal.

If there isn't a victim, it's a much more difficult decision. You could also consider cost to society if there's no victim, chance of self harm and likelihood that public money will be spent looking after you.

But ultimately it's your body, you can't argue that it's morally wrong to smoke cannabis but okay to smoke tobacco, so the law must be out of step with morality in one case or the other.

Why can't we have it? If the laws were properly policed then it could be achieved and society would be more pleasant for it.

There lies the problem. The USA tried it by making alcohol illegal. It caused a lot of criminal activity and gang wars. Many respectable people went to the speakeasy clubs to drink knowing full well that it was illegal. I believe this is when the cocktail was born. Drinks made to look like innocent fruit cocktails to disguise the alcohol content. It became impossible to police and so the prohibition act was repealed.

For some strange reason we humans need a release and this was provided for us in our surroundings. Cannabis, coca and many other plants provide highs which humans have enjoyed through time. It is thought that preacher John Bunyan wrote the Pilgrims Progress whilst under the influence of a hallucenogenic drug found in fungus that grows on bread that he ate whilst in Bedford prison. Many tribes view drug induced thoughts and senses to be of a spiritual nature but they have learned to control it and have couched it in ritual to prevent abuse.

Any attempt to prevent us from enjoying the change we experience when taking our drug of choice will ultimately fail. Unless, of course, we allow a total police state where officials can walk into your home at any time without a warrant and our children will be encouraged to become informants.

Try this simple exercise when considering any law.

1) Identify the victim

That's it. If there's a victim, then it's almost certainly morally wrong as well as illegal.

If there isn't a victim, it's a much more difficult decision. You could also consider cost to society if there's no victim, chance of self harm and likelihood that public money will be spent looking after you.

But ultimately it's your body, you can't argue that it's morally wrong to smoke cannabis but okay to smoke tobacco, so the law must be out of step with morality in one case or the other.

The victims are the decent men who are detered from going to nightclubs etc when they have every right to do so. Also when have I ever said smoking tobacco (or drunkenness for that matter) are OK?

The victims are the decent men who are detered from going to nightclubs etc when they have every right to do so. Also when have I ever said smoking tobacco (or drunkenness for that matter) are OK?

As there has been a smoking ban for some considerable time I can't see what relevance your comment has.. Even with out the smoking ban if you had any idea what you were talking about you might realise it's complete rubbish.

For the sake of argument, how is someone smoking cannabis deterring you or anyone else from going to a nightclub?

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

The law says that smoking tobacco is okay, you were using the law's stance on cannabis for the justification for it being wrong.

The law can't be morally correct on both issues, in which case you have to fall back on your own morality.

As to 'the victim' you identified there. That's just your own personal agenda and paranoia coming out, nothing to do with morality of a victim. Particularly so since we were talking about people smoking it in a park :confused:

For the sake of argument, how is someone smoking cannabis deterring you or anyone else from going to a nightclub?

Particularly if they're smoking it in the park.