Allotment Waiting lists

apparently Meersbrook waiting list is up to 160+ people .. which is unbelieveable when you see how many unworked plots there are up there.

apparently Meersbrook waiting list is up to 160+ people .. which is unbelieveable when you see how many unworked plots there are up there.

well that what i think, i walk the dog past a site in meersbrook parl everyday and if your telling me they are all in use then they are a real mess, loads are that overgrown you cant see anything :mad:

Why are there large plots at Rivelin either side of me, maybe at least 4 that have never been touched, and I dont mean taken and not worked, I mean they have not been in use for years and are workable with a bit of clearing. Its a disgrace and a load of rubbish about certain 'waiting lists'. Someone needs to highlight things like this and get the allotment office to do something about it. Take a look if you are desperate for an allotment, embarass them into giving you one.:thumbsup: Bottom of Hagg Hill, cross the road and second path down on your right.

Meersbrook has loads of vacant sites, there are quite a few that need a lot of will-power and determination, but they are vacant.

Some that I was offered 12 months ago, still sit dormant gathering weeds, rubbish and the general look that nature has won and taken the land back to be hers!

The allotment office is very friendly, if you don't hear anything for a while give them a call! I used to call them to be told that there was still a waiting list and to be patient, but a few days later I would get a list inviting me to view 2 or 3 sites.

So, if you ring up the allotment office can they tell you what number you are on the list?

Don't see any reason why not, but I don't think it is that black and white.

I think vacant lots are split amongst a few on the waiting list, so they are not waiting just for one person to say yes or no, plus what one person would describe as a jungle, someone else would quite happily get stuck in.

But have a chat with the allotment office, it is worth the effort!

:thumbsup:

Cheers, will do next week then...

There is a way to 'jump' allotment waiting lists (private ones anyway) and that is to be willing to take on almost anything.

We got our first allotment on the very day we went over to the allotment site to see about going on a waiting list last year. Ok it hadn't been worked in a very long time (about 35+years to be correct) but we managed to clear part of it and also dig a 25ft x 15ft bed in the first week alone.... I can dig for England hence my name!:D

Last September we were offered an even bigger plot that joins onto our first one and yes you have guessed correctly that hadn't been touch for quite a few years too (15 in that case).

It's not been easy but then what in this life is? both our plots are already filling up nicely with our onions, potatoes, fruit bed etc. in fact we are running out of room!

Lets face it you are going to have to wait years unless you know a guy who knows a guy before you even get a sniff of a plot that needs very little work doing to it because those sort of plots go so quickly.Hel.xxx.

I don't care how much work I need to do on it before I can use it- you ought to have seen our back when we moved in! I just want an allotment:cry:

I'm on the waiting list for Crookes Marsh Lane - does anyone know how long the waiting list is?

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to grow vegetables.

There are two plots free on our site in Thurcroft (Rotherham) just at the side of the M18 they don't get offered because nobody will take them on, I just hate to see plots go to waste.Hel.xxx.

I have just got on the waiting list for the Meersbrook site near Catlane woods. I initially asked to be placed on any within the Heeley, Meersbrook area but they couldn't do that and I could only be on one waiting list. Although they said that this site was the one with the most allotments and therefore shortest wait, they informed me that the person at the top of the list has been waiting since December 2007 so I'm not optimistic about getting one any time soon :-( Annoying because I've helped a lot of friends on this site and there are sooo many seemingly abandoned ones. Ah well, just get the garden sorted and help others until then...