MP's to get a longer summer break this year!

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/MPs-defy-public-outrage-and.5187829.jp

MPs defy public outrage and take 3-month summer break

MEMBERS of the House of Commons are set to take a three-month summer holiday in the midst of what is expected to be the worst recession for half a century, defying public outrage over expense claims and smear scandals.

The 12-week recess, which is a week longer than last year's break, comes as MPs admit there is not enough work to do at Westminster after Prime Minister Gordon Brown cleared the decks to tackle the economic crisis.

More ...

So on the back of that admittance that "there is not enough work to do", why do we need over 600 MPs and dog knows how many MEPs and parasites all taking huge salaries, expenses and pensions.

Reading the comments in the Scotsman article leaves me with no doubt that most people now think like I do that our Government has become an expensive waste of money.

:rant:

Daft as it sounds, the longer the breaks our MPs take the better for all of us. The trouble with MPs is that they always have to be perceived as doing something, which inevitably means more needless debates, speeches and laws being introduced which only make society more bureacratic and less free.

If they're not in the House of Commons, they're not interfering in other people's lives nor poking about in the internal affairs of other countries.

Obviously taken to extremes, the ideal scenario would be for MPs to take 12 months holiday a year, but not even they would allow themselves to do that, would they?

They need more time off this summer in order to figure out more ways to fiddle their expenses now that it looks like their second homes allowance might be going.

I do agree with Basil that it's best for them to work in their constitiences, settling disputes about hedges and local parking schemes, rather than sitting in Westminster dreaming up ever more stupid policies designed to control peoples' lives.

The country can run itself without these idiots

With so many new laws being made outside the country, one wonders if there is any point in electing Members of Parliament at all.

Edited by Idler

Why the hell do we need 600+ of the thieving scroats? A mere doze of em could screw us just as effectively but cheaper.

Come back Guy Fawkes, all is forgiven

its this type of thing that makes my blood boil.

first they take home 80=100.000 a year.

yet we get minimum wage...or not much more.

then we're expected to stump up tax to pay for thier expenses, 2nd homes etc

while we cant afford to live, pensioners have to choose between food and heat, people losing their home and jobs

now we find out theyre giving themselves a bigger holiday when we work our guts out (on 26 days holiday or not far off) for not much pay.

then theres the bankers etc WE're bailing out and they still get bigger "bonuses" than we get paid in a year.

theres oil companies reaping it in, petrol stations and companies making massive profits even when oil prices fall our prices still go up.

etc etc

theres something really really wrong. we are BEING robbed.....legally

If they are going to do less 'work' they should get less pay AND expenses

Perhaps we should have local votes via the net where people can vote for what they'd like to see their MP do during that week. Oh and let's not forget their "secretaries" too!

horrible people who will say anything they think the public want to here if and i mean IF they loved this country SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much why don,t they try and live like the rest of us instead of getting ridiculous amounts in wages

With the alleged news that they may get an attendance allowance rather than expenses,the more time they have off the better.I always thought a salary/wage usually needs people to attend their designated place of work.

With the alleged news that they may get an attendance allowance rather than expenses,the more time they have off the better.I always thought a salary/wage usually needs people to attend their designated place of work.

well what they should do.........is get a wage, like the rest of us.

im not sure they should get expenses tbh im not that convinced they need them? i need to travel...bus fares come out of MY WAGES, i need to eat dinner, that comes out of MY WAGES etc etc.....and since im only on what? £11.000 a year or someat........im sure their 80.000 - 120.000 is sufficient?

even if they need a second home, they have their fingers in enough "additional" pies