1st pregnancy scan..(recent)

and yes at this stage i had to have the internal scan

binty...did you ring up and make the 21st as an appointment or did the doctors give you that date?im just wondering if to make mine for a few weeks after,,,,,dont fancy an internal....and want to see a decent pic of the baby.

The doctor made it for me on the Choose & Book system :)

I'm not sure it is always internal at that stage. I think they can do the ultrasound. However it is a long wait for the 20 weeks scan and you also have a few more weeks before you reach the 12 week stage and can worry a bit less! For that reason I was glad my scan was 12 weeks this time. If you rebook though you may end up with a really late scan like 15/16 weeks (I was 16 weeks with my son). Maybe you could ring up and see what dates they can offer and then decide :)

You can register with a different GP for your maternity than your normal GP - however, the maternity GP would only give you care related to pregnancy and do the birth visits when you are discharged home for you and your baby. When you sort out which GP you will be going with you will then see the midwife at the Antenatal Clinic at the GPs, for booking. From there all scans as indicated will be arranged. Midwives are usually practice based - i.e. they will have a certain number of GP practices that they cover, rather than an 'area'.

The only scan that I had in my pregnancies was at 20 weeks - i'm a midwife, and just had this one. If you have an early scan, (eg- if you are uncertain of dates), you still have to have the one a 20ish weeks as thats the one to check fetal anatomy and make sure that everything is OK, and check the position of the placenta.