1st pregnancy scan..(recent)

hi,im due for my first scan on 21st may....i will be 9 weeks.i booked the app my self with the letter my gp gave me......do you think that is too early?i thought they were around 13weeks?

although i googled and it said they can be done any time from 6weeks to 14weeks.......anyone had one recently and tell me if its too early?

thankyou!!

hi there,

This isn't too early. The purpose of the first scan is to "date" the pregnancy so they can give you an official due date. Rightly google has said from 6-14 weeks is fine.

Congratulations and welcome to the parenting section!

thanks annniec!i thought i was going mad as everyone keept saying it was too early!!

thanks for the welcome by the way!

My scan was at 10.5 weeks, not intentionally, but we only had a vague idea of dates so picked one that would fit in the middle somewhere.

We could still see a perfect little baby, a littl heart beating and a little hand waving at us.

I think at 9 weeks you're more likely to see a little bean-shaped baby, but its more accurate for dating :)

I was sent for my first scan and it turned out I was only 11 weeks pregnant. I had to go back as apparently they couldn't see the head properly (or parts of it were not formed at that point, I'm not sure), so had to go back a few weeks later for another one. Apparently for the first scan you should be at least 12 wks pg. Contrary to popular belief the first scan isn't just for dating purposes, they look at the health of the baby and check everything is ok, and if it's too early they can't see everything they need to.

Did you tell the hosp you'd only be 9 weeks and if so, what did they say?

x

it all depends on what they can see but at 9weeks they should be able to get enough details. I always thought that the first scan was purley a dating scan unless they come accross anything unusual.

I have my notes infront of me and my first scan was purley dating/heartbeat but my 20wk scan has alot more info.

I know alot of people who have had scans before 12 wks and weren't invited back until their 20wk scan.

Hi Spotty

Hope you're doing ok! I'm so jealous that you got your scan booked in already! I'm moving house in 3 weeks so I can't even register at my new surgery until then, so I'll be about 7-8 weeks before I even see the GP!

I'm sure if 9 weeks was too early they wouldn't have let you book the scan, and if they can't see everything then I'm guessing they'll just ask you to come back in a few more weeks. Even if they can't date you accurately, you'll still get to see your bean and hear the heartbeat! :love:

Keep us posted hun!

(P.S. still no symptoms here yet! I'm soooo going to end up doing another test before the week is out just to convince myself I'm still pregnant!)

Hi Spotty

Hope you're doing ok! I'm so jealous that you got your scan booked in already! I'm moving house in 3 weeks so I can't even register at my new surgery until then, so I'll be about 7-8 weeks before I even see the GP!

I'm sure if 9 weeks was too early they wouldn't have let you book the scan, and if they can't see everything then I'm guessing they'll just ask you to come back in a few more weeks. Even if they can't date you accurately, you'll still get to see your bean and hear the heartbeat! :love:

Keep us posted hun!

(P.S. still no symptoms here yet! I'm soooo going to end up doing another test before the week is out just to convince myself I'm still pregnant!)

i did another yesterday!!!lol!!....even tho im still feeling so sick!!ill ring the hospital again,but i thought with them having my details they would know?ah well will ring them now!!

ok,rang the hospital,she didn't know as she just made appointments!

and my gp surgery is closed so rang a few more and they are all closed???anyone know why?!!!!

just rang jessops wing,and they now aim to do first scans between 8 and 12 weeks.

so she said 9 weeks is fine....because i rang and booked the scan iv still yet to recive a confirmation letter from the hospital for that date.

I was 8wk 6days when I had my first scan and that was fine to give me a date and to check the heartbeat. I drank quite abit of water before and my pic's really clear. It's more of a kidney bean shape with legs but you can tell where everything is!

Hi Spotty

Keep us posted hun!

You don't actually need to see a GP now and could just contact the midwife for the area you will be in directly. Otherwise you could ring Jessops, explain your situation and see if you can book the scan yourself. I was 7 weeks when I saw my midwife and had my scan at 12+4. I think scans around 12 weeks are the best as this coincides with the reduced chance of any problems and is a good time to see your baby. I had my scan at 16 weeks with my first baby and I felt that was too late. I know lots of people who have had scans before 12 weeks so I'm not surprised they said that it's fine.