Dubai - Heaven or hell?

Have just been reading this from the Telegraph:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

It's quite a long read, but some of the goings on there are appalling. Really makes you think that although its portrayed as some jewel in the Arabian Crown it is already a living hell for many people and could potentially become a disaster zone in future.

What are peoples thoughts on this place?

An interesting and informative article.

My daughter lives in Dubai and I've been out there nine times so far. Found the article somewhat biased.

Dubai is lovely we have been 4 times not a problem

Have just been reading this from the Telegraph:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

It's quite a long read, but some of the goings on there are appalling. Really makes you think that although its portrayed as some jewel in the Arabian Crown it is already a living hell for many people and could potentially become a disaster zone in future.

What are peoples thoughts on this place?

The article seems to stem from feeling of hurt and along the lines of "oh this country is going to the dogs" mentality. Maybe some expect to have the same laws as Britain where you can embezzle millions and simply declare bankruptcy to avoid paying back the people you have spent living the high life. The lady seems to have great shame in borrowing money to survive now but didn't have any regard for borrowed money before that. The chap had a brain tumour but surprisingly enough, knew when to bail out and attempt a runner, and possibly would have got away with it had it not been for the local law. All too biased.

The funny thing is the crocodile tears for the immigrant workers in Dubai, well, seems easy to criticise others doesn't it? Is it seriously suggested no one knew of how the immigrants have been abused from day one? Just biased axe grind of an article purporting to be some new found truth. Dubai is a millionaires’ playground and not somewhere you can hang out whilst signing on. You go there if you can afford it.

Idea!, why don’t we invade the place and give the immigrants all the love the immigrants get in this country? And we can show them Arabs how democracy really works. :lol:

Herer is the crime no one complains of

The town was soon seized by the gunships of the British Empire, who held it by the throat as late as 1971. As they scuttled away, Dubai decided to ally with the six surrounding states and make up the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
What, no democracy? Must have slipped our mind, I'm sure :lol:

Aye, them were the days.

Edited by tab1

"There are countries so crowded

That their people have to escape.

But that country's people

Still increase in number.

Other countries

Have kept their population lower;

They can afford laws

And social services.

Why don't these selfish countries

Keep on taking the escapees

From the overcrowded lands,

So as to end up

As overcrowded

With no where left for anyone to go?"

The article seems to stem from feeling of hurt and along the lines of "oh this country is going to the dogs" mentality. Maybe some expect to have the same laws as Britain where you can embezzle millions and simply declare bankruptcy to avoid paying back the people you have spent living the high life. The lady seems to have great shame in borrowing money to survive now but didn't have any regard for borrowed money before that. The chap had a brain tumour but surprisingly enough, knew when to bail out and attempt a runner, and possibly would have got away with it had it not been for the local law. All too biased.

The funny thing is the crocodile tears for the immigrant workers in Dubai, well, seems easy to criticise others doesn't it? Is it seriously suggested no one knew of how the immigrants have been abused from day one? Just biased axe grind of an article purporting to be some new found truth. Dubai is a millionaires’ playground and not somewhere you can hang out whilst signing on. You go there if you can afford it.

Idea!, why don’t we invade the place and give the immigrants all the love the immigrants get in this country? And we can show them Arabs how democracy really works. :lol:

Herer is the crime no one complains ofWhat, no democracy? Must have slipped our mind, I'm sure :lol:

Aye, them were the days.

I don't really see how promising luxury then taking away your passport, housing you in a tiny room with 11 other men, being forced to work in 55 degree heat all day every day and not getting paid for months is any resemblance to immigrants in this country.

We are far too soft, but that is taking it to the extreme. The fact that the place is built entirely on debt that people are now struggling to pay off would be a worry, plus the water costs could mean the place ends up dry soon. I can see the only thing being built there are prisons to house people who have cant afford to pay back the debts.

I don't really see how promising luxury then taking away your passport, housing you in a tiny room with 11 other men, being forced to work in 55 degree heat all day every day and not getting paid for months is any resemblance to immigrants in this country.

We are far too soft, but that is taking it to the extreme. The fact that the place is built entirely on debt that people are now struggling to pay off would be a worry, plus the water costs could mean the place ends up dry soon. I can see the only thing being built there are prisons to house people who have cant afford to pay back the debts.

The inhuman treatment of the immigrant labourers is nothing new and has been going on under supervision of western construction companies. The whole place isn't as debt ridden as is made out in the article. All are not suffering out there. Most of the British ex-pats are there on good wages and a lifestyle we can only dream of.

As I said, it's a place you go to if you have plenty of money or potential to make plenty of money. It is people who have already made it and not hope to make it. Cheap Immigrants workers have a hard time wherever they go and no matter where they come from.