Any one know this hotel ?

I have a just been looking at a postcard picture/ painting. of the Town Hall, looks to be around 1900.

The corner building at the end of Surry street which is now the Yorkshire Bank has in large letters the word Hotel written on it...

Anyone know which hotel this was ?

Cheers Stix..

Must have been a pretty big hotel in it's time.

In the picture/ painting I have there is no Yorkshire Bank under it or Tram lines just a big statue at the cross roads, looks like the one in fitzalan Square......

Cool picture. Good to know there was a time when you could get up Fargate with no charity collectors/special events/market surveys :hihi:

There are more trams than people on Fargate in that picture..doesnt look particularly thriving.

Had also forgotten how awful the buildings looked when blackened by smoke / soot.

Cheers Stix..

Must have been a pretty big hotel in it's time.

In the picture/ painting I have there is no Yorkshire Bank under it or Tram lines just a big statue at the cross roads, looks like the one in fitzalan Square......

are you able to share this photo with us?

statues are occasionally moved, so it would be interesting to know if it is the same one

There's loads of old pics on the site Strix linked :) Very informative:)

It could be the one of Queen Victoria which I belive was moved to Encliffe park.

The one in Fitzalan Square was Prince Albert

Edited by Albatross

Don't know if it was a hotel or not, but the top floor was a restaurant called Tuckwood's. When l was about 9 remember going their to watch the Queen arriving at the Town Hall.

It could be the one of Queen Victoria which I belive was moved to Encliffe park. The one in Fitzalan Square was Prince Albert

Yes - the statue of Queen Victoria (which dates from her Golden Jubilee in 1887) was originally positioned facing the Albany Hotel - a photo is here. The statue was moved to Endcliffe Park in 1930.

The statue in Fitzalan Square is actually of King Edward VII; it evidently has the distinction of being the only statue in Sheffield that is still in its original position. photo

The Albany Hotel was a temperance hotel owned by Sheffield Refreshment Houses Ltd., who also had the Lion Café in Nursery Street, the Mulberry Café in Mulberry Street and the Wilberforce Hotel in the Wicker. The Albany Hotel closed in the 1930s and the building began to be used as offices, with the name "Yorkshire Bank Chambers".

Thanks for that Hillsbro I couln't remember n made a guess.