Is Virgin gym any good?

thinking of re joining the gym but dont just want to get a feel of that particular gym, been before but a long time ago so wanted to know how much monthly memberships is and what the atmosphere generally is in the gym

I used to go there - just cancelled my membership as it's ridiculously expensive. I was on diamond membership and it was £41.95 per month but if you pay on a month by month basis I think it's around £47 per month or even more. I liked it there as the facilities are great but it just wasn't worth the money in my opinion, esp in the current climate when my money is better spent on more essential things. I'm about to join Fitness First and will probably use both Ponds Forge and Don Valley gyms. It's only £24 per month, and if you pay for 12 months upfront it works out at £21.66 per month. Bargain.

Hope that helps.

A x

Fitness Unlimited at Ponds Forge, Concord, Don Valley and Hillsboro joined last month and its fab.

Facilities are great, if you can get on them. Classes are good, if you can get in them. Why pay nearly £50 a month to hang around waiting for equipment.

Fitness Unlimited is great - loads of facilities, use of more than one gym. Check out local gyms as well - Abbeydale Sports, Hallamshire Tennis - they are small and not flash, but they do the job. All these are roughly half the price of Virgin.

i joined virgin 3 weeks ago and i love it. lotsd of fun classes and plenty of equipment ..i've never had to wait for anything but maybe that's the time i go or just that if something is busy i move on and come back to it later.

so far i've tried circuits, skip and abs, cardio combat and hula hooping, and the power plates are a definite bonus.

if u decide to join and fancy a gym buddy pm me as i'm on my own up here at the moment m x

I haven't found an issue with waiting for equipment in the gym at Virgin but my problem is the children! I know it is meant to be child friendly but I don't understand why although there is a proper children's pool, children are allowed in the main pool until 7 pm. Fair enough if they are swimming properly with their parents but mostly they are being thrown in the water and generally messing around and squealing!

They also seem to run riot around the coffee area too- I'm finding that at Virgin, 'child friendly' means 'children dominate' and this is why I'll probably go elsewhere when my membership year is over.

It's a really nice gym, nice pool, sauna etc and a climbing wall but it's expencive. I used to be a member but canceled because I was doing more running and biking and I wasn;t enjoying going to the gym, even though it is nice.

If you live near it and you can afford it its great, the fitness first gyms are also great, and cheap but it depends how close you are to one, its easier to make excuses not to go if you live further away!

Couple of guy's who train with us just cancelled their membership, said the gym was full of " gangs of gangsters " in the gym and could'nt get on the machines...

Craig.

GYM PLUS, in Crookes area (S10 5BZ) is a small Gym and one of the Cheapest Gym in Sheffield, only £26 p/m (3months contract)

Classes (Yoga, Salsa...) for FREE + Pitch Hire offers

And if you join this month, you have the rest of the month for FREE and pay NO JOIN FEE.

Book your FREE TRIAL!

tel: 0114 266 6842

I was a member of Virgin, now a member of Esporta. I would recommend Esporta.

Had mixed reviews about thevirgin gym off London Rd, Fitness first is better in my opinion

I used to be a member but left, as too many kids and the only quiet time was after 8 at night... now go to greens, cheaper, much friendlier and kids are only allowed at certain times.