Anybody from firth park 1964/1983 ?

I used to go with my sister and brother to play in there on the way home from Hucklow road school, we called it the "Munsters" house cos it did look creepy, this was the early sixties, 61/62. We lived on Tideswell road, our back garden wall overlooked Firth park Grammar school. It was a boys only school then and we used to hide behind the wall and shoot our pea shooters at the boys as they changed classes. Where did you live jane, do you remember any one from there.

I also lived on Tideswell Road and the bottom of our garden was the wall to Firth Park School. I was there later than you harleyman. I was born in 64 and moved in 76. I remember the Leggits, Wilkes, and old Mr and Mrs Revill that lived at no 1. They had loads of cats and sold cigarettes. Mum used to send me there for them instead of going down to the vending machine outside the drinks shop on Stubbin.

I also lived on Tideswell Road and the bottom of our garden was the wall to Firth Park School. I was there later than you harleyman. I was born in 64 and moved in 76. I remember the Leggits, Wilkes, and old Mr and Mrs Revill that lived at no 1. They had loads of cats and sold cigarettes. Mum used to send me there for them instead of going down to the vending machine outside the drinks shop on Stubbin.

what number did you live at, we lived at No 15. I remember fetching cigs for me mam from old mrs revill too. wot a small world. We moved when I was 17 I loved it at firth park tho, Long hot summers in Longley park, cold snowy winters were the snow came over the tops of me wellies and froze me feet, Running up to the Esseldo picture house, and the other one at top of Herries road. Going to Hinde house school, watching the Star Walk at the top of Longley lane and Barnsley road, oh happy days

I remember Miss James and Mrs Gaunt at Hucklow. Mrs Boyson - wasn't she the music teacher? Playing two balls against the wall round the corner by the girls toilets, and french skipping.

My sister went out with one of the Speights. There were the Grettons and the Burnhams on Downham and we used to play by the street lamp at the corner of downham road and tideswell road. It had 'arms' that were good for throwing tyres and ropes over to mess about on.

Spent half the summer down the donkey hill, grass sledging and stuff - yes, the holidays always seemed sunny then. Used to be out all day and go home for tea. My children have never had as much freedom as we had then.

Jenny you're right about the freedom back then. Wher were the donkey hills, name rings a bell but can't place them.

Donkey hills were in Firth Park park, we used to slide down them on pieces of old cardboard.

Shooter the donkey hill was in firth park rear of top tennis court down ti the rivergood for cardboard an sledging in the winter another sledge run you might have seen but whent when the flats where built was from the corner of the doctors surgery at Rolliston rd down what was known as devils elbo , sharpe left before the wall on to Barnsley Rd and stopping before hitting the air raid shelter where the bottom flats are now if you missed this and did not stop you finished up across stubbin Lane and down Ribble Way many a tram driver had to do quiet a few quick stops . a another run was rear of Longley Park keeper house on the triangle shaped hill only problem was Parky kept stopping us as it was damaging his grass

Does anyone remember the Irvings of The Oval. I used to work with Sue at Firth Park Bowling Alley. Thanks.

Does anyone remember the Irvings of The Oval. I used to work with Sue at Firth Park Bowling Alley. Thanks.

What years are you talking about here, neilf?

Hi Jane I worked at the Bowling Alley 1980 to 1986 Sue left about 1985. They lived on the Oval in 70s and 80s Dave was Manager in Bowling Alley Bar then went on to run The Horseshoe.

Remember the Ingrossos on Horndean Road.

I remember them Sue works at a sandwich shop accross from The Foundry Arms now

I went to both Hucklow and Hinde House,i left Hinde House in 1991.My parents lived and still do opposite what was Dr Damns bungalow.Yes firth park has changed ,i remember cardboard sliding down the donkey hill in firth park,and walking up that stream,meaney council planted trees so furture generations couldnt break limbs on it.I remember Mrs Boyson as the best teacher and Mr Liquirce as the worst .

I lived on Tideswell Road in the 50's and 60's (until 1970). I remember a Graham Speight as well, Bernard Bamforth, the Leggitts, the Thompsons, the Taylors (an old couple then), the Dumpletons?? Monica who lived on The Oval, Christopher Evans from the Oval, the Simpsons from Horninglow Road around the Green, Trevor somebody from the corner of Horninglow Rd and Tideswell.

hi,just found this site,i lived on tideswell road(no 59).we had a huge conker tree in our front garden,i went to shiregreen school then onto hinde house.