Anybody from firth park 1964/1983 ?

I lived on Tideswell road with my brother and three sisters from 1961 to 1969, I went to Hucklow road school then onto Hinde House. Firth park was a great place to live in those days, we had Longley park for football and then sledging in the winter and the Swiming baths in the summer. Firth parks park itself was great it had the playground area and the steep hills for sliding down on with my sheet of cardboard. I had a paper round that took in Merlin way, the Oval Horninglow road etc, wot happy days. I made friends with alan and andrew fergus, dennis shepherd, mick beckett, polly? les gladwin, peter wells, jonathan gilbert,susan howells, Susan Arundel (I still love her) john reeves, johnny leybourne. The Glovers, the cockings, the cutts and lots more. I remember the old Sarsparilla shop in firth park, the youth club, that was run by a guy called Elgin and his wife, and Brian who used to take us camping to Castleton. We used to go to Longley park on a sunday afternoon, play some football then listen to the radio all afternoon. We had Round the Horne, with kenneth williams then listen to the top 20 on the new Radio One channel. Happy days

I remember Miss James and Mrs Gaunt at Hucklow. Mrs Boyson - wasn't she the music teacher? Playing two balls against the wall round the corner by the girls toilets, and french skipping.

My sister went out with one of the Speights. There were the Grettons and the Burnhams on Downham and we used to play by the street lamp at the corner of downham road and tideswell road. It had 'arms' that were good for throwing tyres and ropes over to mess about on.

Spent half the summer down the donkey hill, grass sledging and stuff - yes, the holidays always seemed sunny then. Used to be out all day and go home for tea. My children have never had as much freedom as we had then.

I went to Hucklow Rd between 1954 and 1961. Only one person has mentioned Miss Toes, I remember one year she gave everyone in her class a little diary, I think it must have been a Christmas present, just remember getting it, paperback in pale green....how on earth can I remember that when I cant remember what I'm looking for half the time!! Went to chess club and reading circle at Firth Park library and became a library helper...I'm not like that now :-)

I went to Hucklow Rd between 1954 and 1961. Only one person has mentioned Miss Toes, I remember one year she gave everyone in her class a little diary, I think it must have been a Christmas present, just remember getting it, paperback in pale green....how on earth can I remember that when I cant remember what I'm looking for half the time!! Went to chess club and reading circle at Firth Park library and became a library helper...I'm not like that now :-)

I remember going to the reading circle, such a happy and interesting place/thing to be involved with.I lived on the brushes estate from 1949-69. great place to live as a youngster, lots to do, lots to aspire to. (everybody had a job)

I went back a year or two back, my old house looked like it had squatters in it

and the garden had all but vanished under a sea of mud and scrap metal. Where did it all go wrong!!!:confused::confused:

I remember Miss Carding-Wells, she was a cracker . . . . I think ? My memories not what it used to be, and another thing, my memories not what it used to be.

I lived on Downham Road 1976 for two years; went to Hucklow then Firth Park. I was bullied for having a different accent (Lincolnshire) and that made me very quiet, so I was bullied more. I was in Mrs Gaunt's class then Mrs Tiffen's. There was a horrid teacher called Mr Hyde and a nice teacher called Mrs Wardle. Miss Paramore taught us French. My family have lived on Downham Road 1920's to '78 ie my dad with his mum and brother/ sister, then us.

Packs of dogs used to run about. The boy next door used to jump from his bedroom window into the privet, and when his dog's puppies died he chucked them in our garden.

Hi

I lived on Downham Road in 60s at the corner of Tideswell Road. Before that I lived on The Oval. Also I went to Hucklow Road and left in 1959. I did a paper round for Fred Reville next to Wild's Fish Shop. Have some great memoroes of my time there. I left in 1972 when I got married.

Darryl Nugent

Hi Darrell Nugen Hi worked for FRED in the late 40,s morning papers were collected from his mothers house on Wheldrake Rd. The Star from the corner of Bellhouse /F/P/Rd outside the Yorkshire Bank were his brother Harry had a pitch. I had the round for the Star rear of clock tower down Hinde house Lane and all the Prefabs which was on the estate right down to Upwell St . FRED lived on. Lloyd St at that time . Is brother HARRY lived on Horinglow Rd about no 80 . on Sunday,s after delivering paper,s I got the job of collecting the paper money from the houses and it was nearly 1/o/clock when I finished at Lloyd Street. I left after some 3 yrs when I left school and it was sometime after this that he bought the shop I do not know what became of him and Harry later on

I went to Firth Park yesterday.

I went along Downham Road and up Tideswell Road. What a difference from when I lived there. The houses have brick walls and new railings.

The biggest difference was old Dr. Damms house on the corner of Tideswell Rd and Barnsley Road. It has gone and been replaced by a block of flats and 3 or 4 houses.

I went to Firth Park yesterday.

I went along Downham Road and up Tideswell Road. What a difference from when I lived there. The houses have brick walls and new railings.

The biggest difference was old Dr. Damms house on the corner of Tideswell Rd and Barnsley Road. It has gone and been replaced by a block of flats and 3 or 4 houses.

I used to play and hide in their garden when we wagged school, I remember the big stone built building in the garden, it was like a gazebo or something. We used to jump off it and sit in it when it rained. The funny thing was no one ever came out and told us off, it was as if the house was always empty. :loopy:

I used to play and hide in their garden when we wagged school, I remember the big stone built building in the garden, it was like a gazebo or something. We used to jump off it and sit in it when it rained. The funny thing was no one ever came out and told us off, it was as if the house was always empty. :loopy:

Do you also remember the gateway I seem to remember it was an arch. I was always scared of their garden. It always looked dark and creepy to me as an 11 year old. Needless to say I never went in it:) I'd rather jump the wall into Firth Park school which was supposedly haunted.:hihi: :hihi:

Do you also remember the gateway I seem to remember it was an arch. I was always scared of their garden. It always looked dark and creepy to me as an 11 year old. Needless to say I never went in it:) I'd rather jump the wall into Firth Park school which was supposedly haunted.:hihi: :hihi:

I used to go with my sister and brother to play in there on the way home from Hucklow road school, we called it the "Munsters" house cos it did look creepy, this was the early sixties, 61/62. We lived on Tideswell road, our back garden wall overlooked Firth park Grammar school. It was a boys only school then and we used to hide behind the wall and shoot our pea shooters at the boys as they changed classes. Where did you live jane, do you remember any one from there.