Anybody from firth park 1964/1983 ?

I lived on The Oval in the late 50s and early 60s. We moved to Downham Road (number 31 at the corner of Tideswell Road) next door to George Falkener who had a snooker hall in town near to the City Hall. Had a great time there. Great neighbourly spirit. Went to Hucklow Road school until 1959. I remember the head, Mr Gambol who had tin legs and Mr Cisk. There was a police station at the end of Ribble Way and I used to get regularly caught riding my motorbike without tax/license/insurance/mudguards/silencers etc etc. Strangely I never finished up in court.

Longley Park Baths was where we seemed to live during the hot summers, only coming home to feed.

Sad to see on my last visit that the council had pulled down my old grammar school and replaced it with something odd??

Hi i use to go to hucklow rd school, started there in 1964. left in 1969. Its horrible at firthfark now. I can remember it use to be great.

barb

What about Miss Toes? Mrs Martin was the headmistress in the late 50's

Hi i use to go to hucklow rd school, started there in 1964. left in 1969. Its horrible at firthfark now. I can remember it use to be great.

barb

firth park as an area is still fine. but the people.

Head teacher was Mr Garrett(Lesley Garrett dad) when i was their.

You might have know my sister, she would have been at Hucklow road around that time, Helen Barker.

I am a Helen Barker ,,, but not related to you as far as I know or am I :loopy:... I was from shiregreen just up from firth park ..... my father and mother divorced and father went on to have several more kids

Do any of you know Wurzel ??

hi im a speight (well i was) tracey higginbottom an carol elvin wer my mates

Hello - You're not Valerie by any chance?

I also remember from Firth Park, Woodrows, Acasters, Carruthers, and Revills (not the sweet shop but a family who lived on the corner of the Oval.

i lived on tideswell rd from the early 60s then i moved to shiregreen about 1980 my dad still lived there till 3 yrs ago then he died firth park was a good place to live in those days but im afraid its gone down mainly cos of the people that have moved there

Hello - You're not Valerie by any chance?

no im sandra valeries my eldest sister

I lived on Tideswell Road in the 50's and 60's (until 1970). I remember a Graham Speight as well, Bernard Bamforth, the Leggitts, the Thompsons, the Taylors (an old couple then), the Dumpletons?? Monica who lived on The Oval, Christopher Evans from the Oval, the Simpsons from Horninglow Road around the Green, Trevor somebody from the corner of Horninglow Rd and Tideswell.

I remember flower faries at Firth Park Church and long hot summers spent in Longley Baths, isn't it funny how the six weeks holiday always seeemed to be sunny then. I lived just up from Firth Park and went to Hinde House school, leaving in 1974.

I've just remembered something else, does anyone remember the play scheme in Firth Park during the school holidays, they organised all sorts of thing, bowling, stilts, huge games of rounders and cricket it was great fun at the time:D