Norfolk Park 'area regeneration'

I am shocked by the lack of public information and local interest in major alteration to the city over the last 5 or more years, such as that of the Norfolk park regeneration which is still in progress. 13 seventeen storey blocks of flats, visible from all over the city, once 1000's of people's homes have been blasted into oblivion and more will follow, and nobody bats an eyelid :roll: . This year will see the end of the claywood flats overlooking the station and dominating the skyline, does anyone care?

I happen to think that such buildings should be considered as much apart of the cities architechtural heritage as traditional buildings like the town hall etc, and once made happy homes.It seems communities are being ripped apart for a more aesthetically pleasing skyline. Maybe i am wrong?Would any body agree with this or have an alternative opinion, or insiders view? Does any body else have any opinion on tower block living they would like to share, i would love to hear from you.

Aimee Ambrose

Guest Guest

After having lived in a tower block on norfolk park for two year's, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. We were on the fourth floor and it was cold in winter ( we couldn't afford to use the underfloor heating ) as it was too expensive.

We were plagued with burglar's, there was alway's the danger of fire being started in the basement, we couldn't have got out as there was only a panel to kick out on to the next balcony and it didn't take us anywhere.

The doctor told us that if the lift broke down and he needed to come to the flat, he would refuse to walk up the stair's and the lift was alway's breaking down. On a sunday morning in summer, we were awakened by the resident's hammering down below repairing their car's.

Thank's but no thank's, after twenty four month's we had had enough, that is how long it took us to get out, :(:( even though we put our name down for an exchange as soon as we moved in.

to the anonymous person writing on norfolk park,

Thankyou for enlightening me! it was very interesting to hear from u. I am currently doing research into tower block living. if i may i would like to ask a few questions that you can answer if you wish.

Did u find that there were any bonuses to living in such a close knit environment?

Do u think that design was to blame, the people that lived there or the managmentand maintenance of the estate?

If you could identify one factor that u attribute the downfall of the estate to what would it be?

And, how well do u feel the council dealt with your displeasure? Do u now feel satisfied with where you live?

I am extremly keen to represent an insiders view, and hope u can help with this. Thankyou for your reply.

Aimee

You may be interested in the S.U.R.G. site? Email me if you are.Cheers.

I used to live in the Norfolk Park flats from age 0 to 8 years old and they were great times. However, when they knocked down the Kelvin flats, a lot of what some would call 'unsavoury types' were moved onto Norfolk Park, making it easier for the younger residents there to buy drugs! I do believe that tower block living is a thing of the past and I wouldn't want to live there now. 15 floors with a broken lift?? Or when the lift does work, someone has ****** in it?? People to the left, right, below and above ya!!!!

Hi Aimee,

I am fascinated by tower blocks, especially in Sheffield as I was born there. Over the last couple of years, I have gone round taking photos of many tower blocks in the area. I found it helpful looking at the Housing Defects Survey (1985) which is available in the local studies section of the library. This has info on the blocks, problems, how they were made, floor plans etc. Stuart Massey from Sheffield Council who deals with the Norfolk Park tower blocks and residents has also given me a lot of information on tower blocks in general. I also spoke to a couple living in the Hanover block who told me that they had to live amonst criminals who begged them for money and set light to cars, etc. You could also try the National Sustainable Tower Blocks Initative. If I can help you further, please e-mail me on [email protected] :)

welcome to the forums JOANNA :)

Hi Aimee,

Joanna again. I Forgot to say that I also spoke to some residents at the tower grange block at Norfolk Park and both were very positive. One lady felt very secure, and had never been burgled.

A great website just for photos of Sheffield is http://chris.croome.net/photos/2002/Sheffield_21_September/,

Hi Aimee. It's nice to know someone is taking an interest in the more modern architecture in Sheffield.

I remember not so many years ago travelling through the Norfolk Park area when it was still covered in tower blocks. But for some reason it never seemed to have the 'bad atmosphere' of some similar developments.

Critics of the blocks should remember that when they were built in the 50s & 60s they were high class developments using cutting edge technology. It was clean, cost effective, modern housing for the growing population of a city still recovering from the bomb damage sustained during the war.

In those early days people actually wanted to live in these bright, modern and affordable developments. But it was precisely their affordability which was to be their downfall. The city council (along with others all over the country) soon realised these towers were the cheapest way of putting a roof over peoples heads. The so-called 'undesirables' were sheperded into them in their thousands so their old homes could make way for slum clearance projects. This is where the problems began.

In addition, the technology to construct such buildings was far from fool-proof. Without the benefits of our 21st century energy efficient heating or double glazing they were often cold and damp in winter. Something which could not be forseen until the buildings were in use. The concrete used for the constructoion itself began to fail, wiith the steel reinforcing inside expanding due to rust and shattering the concrete surrounding it.

And so in just a few short years these engineering and arcitectural wonders had gone from being show pieces to embarrasments.

The main problem with the social aspect of living in tower blocks had been the introduction of the 'undesirables'. These people were not created by this kind of living. They had been around for many years living in the slums of our towns and cities. However now for the first time their activities were being inflicted upon the majority of normal decent people who had lived in the show piece towers from new. As the blocks became increasingly effected by crime, the more law abiding citizens understandably moved away. Empty flats were then there to be filled and the only element of the community who felt inclined to stay was that which was already causing the problems.

The strange thing is that as many of these buildings sadly come to the end of their short lives, those inner-city slum houses from where people were moved and which were not demolished are now desirable again to the extent that few residents of the tower block would ever be able to afford to live in them!!!!

Meanwhile, refurbished towers are also becoming increasingly desirable. Some of the refurbished blocks around Sheffield are again show pieces. How sad that in many cases it has taken private companies to see the potential in these wasted assets of our cities.

But for me, the interest is in the slice of the past these buildings represent. They are arcitectural marvels crammed with more period features than any other type of building I know. Just because they are not a few hundred years old does not mean they are not worth saving. I'm sure we will all mourn their passing when it is too late.

Finally a not about Claywood, overlooking the Station. About a year ago I took a walk up the hill to these three towers. There was no feeling of urban crime or a deserted wasteland about them. Climbing the stairs in one of the buildings there were views over the city anyone in their right mind would kill to wake up to every morning. Just outside the door is a park and the whole of the city centre in within easy reach.

Although not refurbished these blocks were recently painted and so are clean and bright while retaining much of their period feel. This is probably the reason they are my favourite block in the city from an architectural point of view.

Being close together and tucked into a small ledge on the hillside which it would be difficult to utilise for anything else I have to question the wisdom of the city council regarding the distruction of this landmark.

There are sites VERY close to the foot of these flate which could be of significant arcielogical interest too (a fact not many people know) so why not leave them as a brightly coloured reminder of Sheffield's vibrant post-war past? After all, the people of this city have up until now always been rightly proud of it's past.

:D

Welcome to the forums andy1702

Yes andy, i believe you were with me when we went to claywood. I know some people hate living in tower blocks and i totally understand, but then again i don't think they should all be demoloished. I know it costs £40,000 to renovate just one flat in a block but it would be fantastic if at least some of the twin towers could be saved! Claywood is so close to the city centre, a great location to live at, if they were renovated with proper security.

[RPG - Please, check for caps lock before posting]

Has anyone got any information about the Burncross flats at Chapeltown? Is it true that the walls were so rotton that a resident's video machine went through the wall?