Sorry but a Hillborough question

Drunken fans?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Drunken fans?

• I saw a few. About normal for any match.
    • I saw loads of them (how many and what time)
    • I was around and didn't see any.
    • A person I knew was an eye witness and they saw....tell me

This is a question and not so much for debate as it has been done to death.

I have read and heard comments about gangs of ticketless Liverpool fans, smashed out of their minds heading to the ground late.

Some consider they were, in part or in full, the cause of the problem.

As I said I'm not interested in debate just a question.

Do you know about this. Is it true or a load of old rot?

There were a lot of fans who either got there late or didn't have tickets as a friend of mine who was next to the ground saw the crowds after the game had started.

Just to mention this is to try to sort out an argument I was having with someone.

I'm only interested in what you know to be true - not argument about ideas. :)

It may make intersting reading for a good few people. :)

there were traffic delays - hence the large amount of late arrivals

in this day and age that would result in immediate delay of the kick off - but then it didn't

this also contributed to the rush when the gates were opened - at kick off time

I was a kid at the time and remember it...I also remember not being allowed to go and play in the park for the first time ever on a match day because my mum was concerned but now looking back with adult eyes I am not sure there were any more than usual

Edited by LizG2008

I'm sorry, but I find the accusations of Scouse drunkenness by Sheffielders incredibly distasteful - given the pride most Sheffielders seem to take in their drunken exploits, their own preference for a pint before a match, and the complete absolution they think 'I was drunk' gives them from any misdemeanour they perpetrated in that condition :shakes:

i used to live on wadsley lane and there were hundreds outside our corner shop from early morning drinking all day and urinating in peoples gardens/alleys

And for the record, many of the fans let in at kick off DID have tickets... the were found on the bodies complete with the stubs which should have been torn off at the gate under better circumstances

any chance this thread can close before it gets messy please? :(

i used to live on wadsley lane and there were hundreds outside our corner shop from early morning drinking all day and urinating in peoples gardens/alleys

there are multiple threads about the people of Sheffield doing exactly the same

I get to see it on a regular basis living as close as we do to a couple of pubs (which in actual fact is no bloody excuse either, but pot/kettle/black)

not sure if your comment was aimed at me or not there Strix but having re read what I have written I could kind of understand why so just wanted to clarify what I meant was no more than at any other football match so I dont think drunken fans had a lot to do with it

I didn't mean it directly at you LizG - I've read over and over again from many, many people who have naff all to say beyond 'it was the drunk liverpool fans who killed their own and should stop whinging' over the past few days, and quite frankly I'm sick of their blinkered hatred

there are multiple threads about the people of Sheffield doing exactly the same

I get to see it on a regular basis living as close as we do to a couple of pubs (which in actual fact is no bloody excuse either, but pot/kettle/black)

yeah people from sheffield will also do this in and around pubs on a daily basis but that wasn't the point I was getting at, it was the numbers of people who were in the streets drinking heavily that I was trying to make