Any NVQ assesers in hospitality on here??

just wanting to find out what the job is like and if worth getting into? please pm:thumbsup:

I'm an NVQ assessor, but not in this trade - not sure if this helps but could be some interest -

I'm assuming from the post that you are already professionally competent to a level 2 or above in this trade, but you will also no doubt be required to become a qualified A1 Assessor before you are paid at full rate. The A1 qualification requires you to work with a min of two candidates, through two units from your standards, so it can take up to a year to qualify depending on how fast your candidates are! this bit can be quite frustrating when just needing the last bits of evidence for your cert. Rates of pay vary depending if you are employed on a salary just as an assessor or paid hourly just when assessing (if you're a tutor also). Our rate is about £14 per hr plus travelling expenses etc. We work on approx 12hrs per candidate to completion - again depends how quick they are. You have to like paperwork also. I imagine in your business there will be quite a bit more observation work than written evidence.

Yes, I assess NVQ Food Prep level 2 and 3, Customer Service 2 and 3, Hospitality Supervision 3 and Food and Drink 2. I quite enjoy the job especially the observation side of things but there is alot of paperwork involved and when you first come from the trade this can be abit daunting!

The A1 qualification is rapidly becoming outdated by the recent reforms in work based learning changes in qualifications. You need QTLS or ATLS now. You need CTLLS to get the associate teacher status.

The A1 qualification is rapidly becoming outdated by the recent reforms in work based learning changes in qualifications. You need QTLS or ATLS now. You need CTLLS to get the associate teacher status.

As far as I know you are not required be a registered teacher/tutor (QTLS ATLS) to assess NVQs, most are probably, but it's not compulsory as long as you have the proven professional competence. The A1 qual seems to have been re-branded starting last year to become 'Assessing using a range of methods' and 'Assessing through observation' but same principles apply

As far as I know you are not required be a registered teacher/tutor (QTLS ATLS) to assess NVQs, most are probably, but it's not compulsory as long as you have the proven professional competence. The A1 qual seems to have been re-branded starting last year to become 'Assessing using a range of methods' and 'Assessing through observation' but same principles apply

You are right - The A1 award is what you need, no need for anything else for the foreseeable...

You can do a degree and a MA in less time than it takes to do an NVQ level 3 in care.

You can do a degree and a MA in less time than it takes to do an NVQ level 3 in care.

Nah - you can't get 2 degrees in 9 months??? If it takes you much longer, you aren't getting enough obs in, or doing much in the way of write ups...

Nah - you can't get 2 degrees in 9 months??? If it takes you much longer, you aren't getting enough obs in, or doing much in the way of write ups...

I left the care industry after 16 years and one of the reasons was the utterly shocking lack of support, awareness and basic idea of what the **** NVQ's were about and implemented.

If you are telling me that you can do a full NVQ level 3 in less than 16 weeks either the courses have been watered down to a laughable situation or you work for a training company and cut corners

I've done levels 1 and 2 and both of those took a year at Castle College and that was in care of the elderly. Level 3 I gave up on after 3 and a half years of doing it and getting to about 90% completion.

This was 6 years ago admittedly so they may have changed for the better but I doubt it, particularly if you are working in a residential unit as I was.

To do a degree you need three years unless your doing a top up which will usually take one year but you still need to have achieved the levels 4 and 5before you study at level 6 (degree level)

I left the care industry after 16 years and one of the reasons was the utterly shocking lack of support, awareness and basic idea of what the **** NVQ's were about and implemented.

If you are telling me that you can do a full NVQ level 3 in less than 16 weeks either the courses have been watered down to a laughable situation or you work for a training company and cut corners

I've done levels 1 and 2 and both of those took a year at Castle College and that was in care of the elderly. Level 3 I gave up on after 3 and a half years of doing it and getting to about 90% completion.

This was 6 years ago admittedly so they may have changed for the better but I doubt it, particularly if you are working in a residential unit as I was.

I have completed 3/4's of my course, including the network publishing bible in 10 weeks, look and aim to complete the rest of the course in 4 more weeks!

I am doing the NVQ 3 in Health and Social care.

I do not work for a training company, and I think the course is certainly level 3 standards and has not been watered down!