Romantic break less than hour from Sheffield ?

Thanks for all the pointers everyone :)

only reason for "the hour" target was to have quality time with the missus rather than travelling time stuck in a train carriage. Edinburgh is only 3 hours, so we could theoretically leave home at 8:30, on train for 9:00 and there for lunch - but its quite a way to go for an over nighter. It also seemed a good topic to open the debate as we all need a short break sometimes

We have maybe 30 hours quality time between dropping kids off and collecting them again, and its only once a year, so less travel time is a good thing

Also, missus wants to be close enough for an A&E trip should the worse happen to one of the kids while we are away (cos you never know and we are overdue a trip)

Figured there must be great places other than York that just werent on my radar. Harrogate does appeal with Harlow Carr and Bettys on offer, even have an old friend there we could go see - dunno why I didnt think of it

I love York, but am supposed to be going to Lincoln tomorrow to visit my Aunty-I never think of it over York, but it is lovely!

I know I will get shot down in flames for this, and it is SLIGHTLY more then an hour away-but what about Hull? The Deep, lots of free museums, and PATTIES for dinner, what more could you wish for???!

It's not long on the bus to the seaside either:thumbsup:

I got the fire extinguisher ready :thumbsup:

This is somewhere I've heard brilliant things about.

http://www.crabandlobster.co.uk/index.php

It looks absolutely gorgeous.

WOW, best not let my wife see this one or we will need to remortgage . . . but then again I would still like one more child, so it might just be the leverage I need . . .

We went here last year and it was great, real character, fab food, lovely people and not expensive. Close to Dovedale too:

http://www.omniasomnia.co.uk

I live partly in York and partly in Sheffield. York is a nice place and before I lived in York I always loved visiting.

Like an earlier poster I would also recommend Oscars to eat though it has moved premises from where it was and I don't know if that will have taken some of the character of the place away.

From what I understand Oscars is great, but can get rather busy ?

Does it really cut it as a romantic setting ? or are there other choices ? - I have never actually eaten anywhere posh in York in my life

Why not the lake district if you plan your jorney right wouldn't take you that long to get there.

Stratford upon avon is a nice little hamlet, went there just before christmas for a quiet weekend with other half to get away from it all, was nice with some lovely walks and nice restuarants to. Not sure on train journey though, as i took the car.

Holy Island, Northumberland is good by train. I really enjoyed Liverpool we stayed in hard days night hotel and went to the albert dock.

I wish my boyfriend would do something romantic.

I wish my boyfriend would do something romantic.
Blackburn Meadows Sewage Treatment plant.

Why don't you two get together? Slim obviously knows just how to treat a ladee!:hihi::love::hihi: (and wonders why he's still single..)

Howabout Center Parcs, Sherwood Forest? Plenty to do at the village and the surrounding area. Also the Spa is superb.