Can infinite improbability exist?

It would be a language issue and a matter of definition, rather than logic.

mmm, I wondered why i'd wasted my time after posting it, but since I rarely acknowledge time, I suppose that it's not wasted time...

But at somepoint it would become solid before infinity, at that point you could carry on and on but you wouldnt need to, thats what i was trying to say

I see what you mean now. I'm assuming the inifinity is down to the width of the line being halved then placed.

Surely that should be 'would appear to become solid'. (and when saying solid I assume your not speaking of 3d solids, yet filled 2d regions).

This was where I was coming from, it's the same as what I wrote in post 28(sentence 2). This is written much better though. :hihi:

Yea sorry filled 2d regions

Ok, assume we have a shape with an area of 10cm^2

we start to draw 2d lines (ie have width) these lines are 1mm x 10mm, i would need to draw 10,000 and i would have completely filled the area (assuming I drew them in a specific pattern)

10000 x .01 x.1 = 10

since there is nothing between 10 and 10 there are no gaps to zoom in on, any gaps would be a result of an imperfection in your "drawing"

I'm guessing that this was what you were meaning earlier, about overlaps (which lost me a bit). In effect to fill it with no overlaps, the 10,000 would have to be circular sectors.

Anyway, I'm continuing to take this away from epiph's OP. So I'll shut it. :)

mmm, I wondered why i'd wasted my time after posting it, but since I rarely acknowledge time, I suppose that it's not wasted time...

ok, I'll shut it after this.. :hihi::hihi:

mmm, was it worth the time to spend 3 days to shave off 7 mysql calls and 0.0017 seconds (avg.) on the average page request?

But it's done... so probability doesn't even enter the equation in my head now, because I think and have proved it is better...

mmm, was it worth the time to spend 3 days to shave off 7 mysql calls and 0.0017 seconds (avg.) on the average page request?

But it's done... so probability doesn't even enter the equation in my head now, because I think and have proved it is better...

Ah this is why us accountants have materiality :D

Thing is, if the universe is infinite then everything (literally everything - it's a very very big word) has to be happening in it somewhere.

That's flawed. Surely the same things would just be occurring an infinite number of times. Just because something is infinite, it doesn't mean the possibility of something occurring contrary to the laws of physics is certain to happen. And most of the universe is probably infinite 'nothingness'.

My answer: of course some things are impossible.

Some things are physically impossible according to the rules of the universe as we understand them, these things simply will not happen (unless we've got our model wrong).

Also, as far as we know the universe is not infinite, we can't say for sure, but looping back on itself is a popular theory.

So, no, no matter how long you wait and how far you look, llama's will not pop out of nothingness next to you.

So, no, no matter how long you wait and how far you look, llama's will not pop out of nothingness next to you.

Can I append that with 'for no apparent reason', because what if someone had invented and made a thingy, you know the one which makes Picards tea!

Can I append that with 'for no apparent reason', because what if someone had invented and made a thingy, you know the one which makes Picards tea!

A replicator? A transporter would presumably also do the trick.

A replicator? A transporter would presumably also do the trick.

Thankyou...

Transporters trip me out. Surely they don't transport the matter, but re-create the pattern. Therefore surely it just replicates, which would basically generate a clone and then it'd have to de-materialise (kill) the original.

Yes, fair point.

Although it might be worth quoting Arthur C Clarke with "Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic", or words to that affect if I got it slightly wrong.