What were you doing 20 years ago today 15/04

Where were you when the hillsborough disaster happened 20 years ago today?

I watched it happen on the telly. It was so shocking to see unfold. I couldn`t believe it. I lived on the shiregreen at the time and could hear ambulances all over the place, obviously either going to the northern or to hillsborough.

I was 16 watching it live on the telly in Rotherham. :(

I was in the back yard at my Dad's over in Manchester listening to the radio when the first reports of "crowd trouble" were broadcast.

I was driving with the family out to the peak district.

We pulled over and listended to it unfold on the radio.

We lived at Hillsborough at the time not far from the ground. We turned round and went home fearing that it may unfold further and we not be able to get home, all you could hear for hours after was the sound of emergency services buzzing all over. Terrible day......

My mum had died in the early hours of that day. We were sorting things out when my niece told us to come and see the tv. One look and I said it was going to be bad. I live overlooking NGH and we watched a constant stream of ambulances heading there. It seemed never ending.

After my mum's funeral we went on to Hillsborough to see the flowers and tributes.

A truly awful day for hundreds (thousands?) of people.

I had just turned 18 and working in Orchard Square at the time.

I remember, as always, it had been a really busy shopping day in Sheffield up until that point. The news filtered through to the shop that something dreadful had happened up at Hillsborough... slowly town became strange, noone was shopping. It was obvious this was different.

I went for a walk on my break and distinctly remember the sight of a guy being carried through town by two of his friends. They both had tear stained cheeks and the one in the middle was uncontrollably sobbing. I'd never seen a grown man cry like that. Slowly through town trickled groups of lads many of them openly crying and I knew for that it must be unthinkably dreadful. I was worried as I knew a group of my friends from school had gone and tried to find out if they were ok which thankfully they were.

Remembering all those that suffered physically and emotionally on that day and the 96 that died.

20 years :!: seems like yesterday, can remember what we were doing like it was yesterday :( My hubby was in Police Force at that time (on sick leave) but he rang in & they drafted him in to Green Lane training dept to co-ordinate operations. sad sad day & my thoughts are with those who lost loved ones that awful day :cry:

I was with my 14 year old daughter in the Hillsborough precinct cafe. Two lads came in. They were Liverpudlians and told us that there had been a pitch invasion and one person was dead. They were very shaken up and had left the ground to avoid any more trouble.

I was concerned about any rioting that may ensue so I took my daughter home and forgot about it. Then a couple of hours later my mum (Liverpool lass) phoned and told me what was happening.

I remember it being the first warm sunny day of the year, and I was hanging out the washing.

We lived close to the ground then and I could hear the noise of the crowd coming from the ground.

Soon after, I heard the sound of sirens heading towards the ground. Those sirens continued all afternoon and are my main memeory of that day.

The old man who lived a few doors down came out and said something bad was happening at the ground and it was on the telly. I couldn't watch it- just remember the sirens all day... on and on...

We were at home near Sheffield Lane Top and could hear the sirens but not aware of what was going off, my wife worked and still does at the Northern A&E and was on duty on that fateful afternoon.I will never forget the look on her face when she finally arrived home from work on Saturday night.I sincerely hope to god that this country and all it`s football followers (which i am one) never have to live through anything as horrendous as that day again.Our thoughts are with those families directly involved :sad:

I was in foxhill having my hair cut. Timed it so as to miss the match traffic! Was stuck in the traffic for hours trying to get home to meersbrook. Didnt know what had gone off till I got home and stared openmouthed at the tele.