Does anyone remember Eastcliffe children's home?

Just seen this old thread and it really brought a lump to my throat because tulip, who started the thread way back in 2005, was my lovely little sister. Sadly, she died of cancer in 2014,  at the  far too young age of only 47.  I still miss her every day.  She was placed in Eastcliffe to get her away from our horrible violent father and it really, really helped her.  As her older sister, I'd already left home in the late 70's and escaped from our  "bad dad", but she wasn't  quite so fortunate  and ended up  being placed "in care" in the early 80's.

Children's Care Homes often have a bad reputation, but I will always be grateful to Eastcliffe for helping my troubled little sis to completely turn her life around.  All the staff there at the time were brilliant to her - but Peter Lumb ( the Carer who she refers to as 'Plum') was particularly good for her. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that he quite literally saved her life. 

If Peter Lumb is still around, I guess he'd be a very old man by now, but if he's not still around, I hope that some of his relatives or friends might read this thread and recognise what a profound and positive difference he made to my little sister's life - and to the lives of so many troubled youngsters who he helped to care for,   

I've lived on east bank road  in  children's home.. I remember a tall thin bloke he had a big nose and was  clostraphobic  don't recall his name. We used to lock him in toilet  back then' I was probably about 13 .and a lad called ivor'  we called him ivor the engein  

On 14/05/2005 at 02:50, tulip said:

I was in Eastcliffe in the early 80's. I can't remember the name of the road it was on but it was down the hill from Norfolk Park flats. Was anyone an 'Inmate' (it was great fun actually, not a prison by any stretch of the imagination!) or a staff member there?

I know it was demolished years ago but I'd love to know what happened to the people who lived/worked there.

A staff member called Peter Lumb (we called him Plum) really helped my through a depressing time in my life.

I lived there for a while  do you remember a kid called ivor we all called him Ivor the engine

On 18/03/2015 at 11:32, john36 said:

Yes that's rite good days for me as I had just spent 3ys in a approve school it was paradise for me there's was Stewart to still friends today brill fellow cadman getting into skates every nite by the lift anyone remember that another lad lad Steve this is John here from the seventies there was another few I can recall roger gill love to see you all fen st gang good times learnt all the needs to live there cook to clean shoes ect but when left to enter the real world in my bedsit what a lonely and happy time at the same time I went back see cadman did a Rodney dell boy on me John you don't leave here anymore approve school made me a man eastcliffe gave me love good times

---------- Post added 26-03-2015 at 14:00 ----------

Yes I was there have tried to tell you but not showing do it again I was there when first opens there was Julie June sisters Stewart my friend today roger he's now in charge of a home there was Steve machanic Dave hippy gill mr gadman in charge brill fellow give me freedom and hope bamber too good chess player I think Liz was staff learnt the way of life in those flats how cook iron clean ect did a Rodney dell boy when left having gone back there you don't live here no more I here mr cadman say ha that was it end of a brill chapter in my life I also remember a lass Sharon who wasn't from the flats but use hang around with us all ice rink and Samantha's was the in places me Stewart gill had our first pint in olive grove bought ten cigs not one of us smoke good times

Yes I remember the skating rink used to go every week the home even bought me my own skating boots red and black   loved them.also remember jumping off  lower building onto  banking .good times

On 14/07/2021 at 22:27, FIRETHORN1 said:

Just seen this old thread and it really brought a lump to my throat because tulip, who started the thread way back in 2005, was my lovely little sister. Sadly, she died of cancer in 2014,  at the  far too young age of only 47.  I still miss her every day.  She was placed in Eastcliffe to get her away from our horrible violent father and it really, really helped her.  As her older sister, I'd already left home in the late 70's and escaped from our  "bad dad", but she wasn't  quite so fortunate  and ended up  being placed "in care" in the early 80's.

Children's Care Homes often have a bad reputation, but I will always be grateful to Eastcliffe for helping my troubled little sis to completely turn her life around.  All the staff there at the time were brilliant to her - but Peter Lumb ( the Carer who she refers to as 'Plum') was particularly good for her. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that he quite literally saved her life. 

If Peter Lumb is still around, I guess he'd be a very old man by now, but if he's not still around, I hope that some of his relatives or friends might read this thread and recognise what a profound and positive difference he made to my little sister's life - and to the lives of so many troubled youngsters who he helped to care for,   

Sorry to hear about the loss of your sister, but it's lovely to read something positive about a children's home for a change, and the good that they can do. I hope Mr Lumb or his family do get to hear of the high esteem he was held in, and how he and his work were appreciated so thankyou for sharing. 

Great Memories, seems  a long while ago now but I remember it all like it was yesterday and it  was a significant time in what was  then , a turbulent part of my life. No regrets, just a lot of happy memories with the occasional bad one thrown in for good measure. Here's to the future !

Steve the Mechanic.