Unprovoked assault on woman by G20 police - do you recognise this officer?

In another thread on here, we've discussed the death of Ian Tomlinson at the G20 demo in London after receiving a cowardly beating by police as he walked away from them. The discussion pretty much concluded that the police beat a lot of people in this way and that there was just a small amount of low level disorder from the protest.

A new video shows unprovoked assault from a large male officer against a short woman.

Here's what happens...

There is a police line alongside a large peaceful group of people. They appear to be preventing anyone passing. Anyone who tries to leave the demo, even after asking nicely, is forcefully shoved back.

Watch from 3:20. A woman questions why they are doing this.
The officer slaps her

She questions him again.
He hits her across the face, backhand, saying "Go away!" in a Terminator-like voice

She asks him what he thinks he's doing.
The officer withdraws a baton, draws his arm back, then strikes her across the leg. She falls to the ground.

After this cowardly assault, the officer goes to hide behind a line of officers with blue tabards. These are the
- their job is to intimidate people against going on protests. The other officers present move to protect their colleague.

The officer had removed his identification number, suggesting that the attack was premeditated. The sheer number of people assaulted in this way tells us that these tactics were ordered from a central command.

If you can identify the police officer in question, can identify any other officers in the video or have any other information, please post to the Indymedia page with this story and contact Paul Lewis at Guardian Newspapers. paul.lewis@guardian.co.uk

Edited by garrence
linked to Indymedia

He obviously know's he's guilty of something by the way he slyly disappears as soon as people start taking photos/filming him.

I think what's a little scary here is not so much the assault...but in the manner in which it was carried out.

No identification, lots of film and camera crews on the spot. Maybe they just don't care. The more this continues the more cocksure they'll become. Whatever side of the fence your on won't make a blind bit of difference. I'm sure that officer (sic) felt very threatened by the woman...or maybe he just couldn't wait to pull his baton out?

I get the distinct feeling their just waiting to be let off the leash... Bangkok style!

I think what's a little scary here is not so much the assault...but in the manner in which it was carried out.

No identification, lots of film and camera crews on the spot. Maybe they just don't care. The more this continues the more cocksure they'll become. Whatever side of the fence your on won't make a blind bit of difference. I'm sure that officer (sic) felt very threatened by the woman...or maybe he just couldn't wait to pull his baton out?

I get the distinct feeling their just waiting to be let off the leash... Bangkok style!

Apparently if 3 people attack the police line it becomes a riot, and then they can get the batons out, if you notice just prior to the girl getting slapped, 2 people attempt to breach (attack) the line as they are trying to leave.

The lady made the 3rd person, and it becomes a riot, the police are then allowed to use force (including getting batons out).

I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, then this footage just shows how that rule can be abused, and more importantly is being abused.

Apparently if 3 people attack the police line it becomes a riot, and then they can get the batons out, if you notice just prior to the girl getting slapped, 2 people attempt to breach (attack) the line as they are trying to leave.

The lady made the 3rd person, and it becomes a riot, the police are then allowed to use force (including getting batons out).

I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, then this footage just shows how that rule can be abused, and more importantly is being abused.

There must be at least 12 persons present "to use or threaten violence 'for a common purpose'" under the 1986 Public Order Act for there to be a riot.

Edited by happyhippy

There must be at least 12 persons present "to use or threaten violence 'for a common purpose'" under the 1986 Public Order Act for there to be a riot.

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure myself, just something someone told me.

I just took it at face value, always thought that 3 people was a fray not a riot.

But then I didn't know what contsitutes a riot or what special rules they might have for protests.

So I guess the officer was just OoO then.

I would imagine that no matter how peaceful a protest people intend, seeing a women beaten could easily take that peace away.

Did you see the protestors in the background getting hyped up.

Edited by Digsy

The officer had removed his identification number, suggesting that the attack was premeditated. The sheer number of people assaulted in this way tells us that these tactics were ordered from a central command.

If you can identify the police officer in question, can identify any other officers in the video or have any other information, please post to the Indymedia page with this story and contact Paul Lewis at Guardian Newspapers. paul.lewis@guardian.co.uk

Excuse me, but aren't the police public servants? Why is it down to anyone other than the police themselves to identify him? He's acted shamefully, why haven't the police identified him? They do know who work for them, don't they? Why hasn't he come forward himself? I followed your link to the Guardian report on other dispicable acts of the police that day. Why aren't our proud custodians of democracy (MPs :hihi:) coming forward to denounce such acts?

Thank heavens for the press and others who have recorded events. At least some people can still be relied upon as our democracy dwindles.

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure myself, just something someone told me.

I just took it at face value, always thought that 3 people was a fray not a riot.

But then I didn't know what consitutes a riot or what special rules they might have for protests.

So I guess the officer was just OoO then.

I would imagine that no matter how peaceful a protest people intend, seeing a women beaten could easily take that peace away.

Did you see the protestors in the background getting hyped up.

Yes, and most will know I'm a woolly liberal leftie, and my blood would have boiled.

A single person can be charged with affray so long as it can be shown that the threats of violence were enough for the person to fear for their personal safety. Slightly different from 'threatening behaviour'.

The next time they say, we are having a g20 meeting, I think a better protest would be for everyone, absolutely everyone to leave the city, and camp elsewhere, until the officials have finished playing with themselves.

Then go back home.

They'd all look a bit daft then, the only people that would remain would be those affiliated to the g20 meeting, everyone stays indoors if they can't leave the city.

In the meantime Camp Evacuate are having a strike festival.

With maybe a live feed to the festival so we can watch the police lining the streets, alone.

Call it "The Days The Locals Left".

Edited by Digsy

that was a blatant assault, ive jusrt went of the video there and the fact the offcier in question is not wearing a clearly visible number is that he infact not legally alowwed to were anyform of police uniform in public, it was etup and deliberate, and worst of of uintracible to the point of they cant prove nothing

POST EDiTED

Edited by angry

This was reported to have happened a lot during the miners strike. If the police had any integrity left, they would name, shame, and then get rid of them who removed ID numbers.

that was a blatant assault, that video should be sent to the news and see how they see it, he wont be hiding for long

agreed. There are plenty of people about with cameras who are bound to have good shots, who will then come forward.