Blake Street. Upperthorpe.

Does anyone remember when the handrails were put on Blake Street?:confused:

I seem to remember them being there for over 40 years, but OH thinks they've only been there for about 20 years.

Have tried looking on the net, but no joy.

Can any of you help?

They have been there at least 38 years, god I feel old I, my dad uses to walk me up there to see my nan before I started Upperthorpe school

Thanks for that, but bighead OH :loopy:refuses to believe he's wrong (again)

Tried to tack up the hill on my pushbike with Sturmey Archer 3-speed gears but didn't get more than a few yards mainly due to the uneven cobbles. It might be possible now with low geared mountain bikes. This would be around 1960-2.

Well, he's now decided that there 'might have been a railing, but it was attached to the garden walls'.:gag::gag:

I thought he was Mr Right when I met him:love:... but I didn't know his first name was 'Always'

I went to uppperthorpe school in 1963/64 and they were definatley there then

I went to uppperthorpe school in 1963/64 and they were definatley there then

That's the time when we moved to Walkley and I know they were there then:thumbsup:.....but Mr Wonderful is still insisting that they weren't put up til the seventies (just hates to be wrong lol):loopy:

Well I'm sure the hand rails were there when I used to go up and down and that was in the early sixties. I know because I used to go to my friend's house on Boyce Street, I lived on Daniel Hill opposite the wash house. In the winter you wouldn't have got up the Road without the rails to help, you would have slipped straight to the bottom.We used to teeter up and down in high heels come ice or sun.

The handrail was not there in 1939

The handrail was not there in 1939

Neither was I or OH!

I'm sure they were there in the 60s but Alan seems to think that they weren't put up til the 70s.

It's causing a right old argument in our house lol

I just remember being around there in 60-62, and I don't recollect the rails, but might be wrong.