Potty training a puppy

thanks becks but i do agree with you on the rubbing ther nose in it thing, if its really that bad sit in the garden every few hours with it that works

As above, the rubbing noses in mess is a no-no.

A puppy will respond better to positive encouragement and praise than negative "punishment", especially when it's not always clear to a pup WHY the punishment is being administered - there has to be a link between the behaviour (not the result of the behaviour) and the action.

when you clean up the accidents dont use any cleaners that contain ammonia (attracts it back to that spot) puta few drops of citronella oil in a old clean perfume bottle with water and lightly spray that on shifts any smells your dog likes and replaices it with 1 it wont trust me this does work

Yes Becks37, your reaction was abit extreme!!!!!!!!!!

Like i said in my above post, talking to people, a lot of people said it had worked for them. Not one part of me is nasty to my puppy!!!! Instead of getting all heated about what im doing wrong, you could read the thread again, where im asking for ADVICE!!

I understand what your saying about rubbing his nose init..... what would you do when he messes then??? i know to praise him when he does his mess outside, but no ones mentioned what they would do when he does mess in the house?????

Thanks to those who have given advice!!

Hi Lola,

If you catch him in the act, just pick him up and put him where he's supposed to go... if you find it afterwards, just clear it up.

In either situation, don't make a big deal of it or draw attention to it, just do it quietly and without fuss.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you Lola this is the kind of advice i was wanting!! :D

The number 2's he’s ok with now, goes straight to his mat!! its just the numbers 1’s. We’ll get there soon !! :rolleyes::)

He certainly will get there :)

A week is not a long time at all and it can take some pups longer than others. As long as you are reinforcing the right place, and not drawing attention to the incorrect place (and cleaning thoroughly) then you should be fine - don't worry if it takes a bit longer!

You'll also find that pups will tend to start a certain behaviour before going to the loo... some will circle once or twice before going to the loo and others will begin to walk funny, I call it 'the John Wayne walk' :lol: Although I think the walk is more bitches, I'm not sure.

Watch him like a hawk and you'll soon pick up on what he does just before he goes. Then, when you see him doing it, you can pop him on his pad/outside and reward!

Try to differentiate between toilet circling and settling down circling too... I got it wrong all the time with my pup - kept thinking she was going to have an accident and popping her outside when all she was doing was finding somewhere to lay down! :lol:

Good luck! And where are the pictures??! :D

Thank you Lola this is the kind of advice i was wanting!! :D

The number 2's he’s ok with now, goes straight to his mat!! its just the numbers 1’s. We’ll get there soon !! :rolleyes::)

Hi Lola

I have 2 British Bulldogs , had them both from puppys. This breed is difficult to train and extremely stubborn so consistency is the key.

Do you have a garden ? even though he's not had his shots he will be ok in your own garden , just not being around other dogs, he will have some natural immunity from mum anyway.

Our boy bulldog was hard to toilet train , but think of it this way, the reason they wee is that they dont have masses of bladder control at an early age, so dont get much warning they want to go.

we stuck to a strict routine, out first thing, then after food, take him out after playing , and really every hour take him out. We stood in the garden for hours waiting for a wee, and when you get one ... loads of praise. Puppy pads didnt work for us at all. Our 2 are now perfectly toilet trained, and will bark at back door to go out. Never scold him, this breed is a very sensitive and stubborn breed, british bulldogs are massive people pleasers and he will be very confused and frightened if you scold him. But keep praising and as soon as he ways inside take him straight out , he will get the message eventually

Just keep plugging away , it was probably 5 or even 6months old before he was completely perfect( sorry for that bad news)!!! So dont be hard on yourself they are difficult little buggers to tarin.

Try also with a bulldog to get to puppy classes, as after 6 months of age , you stand little chance of getting anywhere with training !!!

Fantastic dogs though, but Ive had other breeds and this breed takes a lot of time and care, but are by far the funniest dogs ever.

Any more bullie advice let me know.xxx:thumbsup:

This breeders web site (admittedly not for your breed) has some really helpful tips (follow the links on the bottom left) and a whole page on house training. It's one of the best things I have found on a breeders web site.

Thanks Lotti and Ruby79. :)

My pup is a little stubborn pup too. sits on his bum and wont move when i try and get him out of room, when we go to bed!! but so funny. He just always looks sad with his sad eyes.

Ruby79, ive been doing a lot of research about a bull dog been out in the sun. He was out in the garden most of the day Sunday, but i kept worrying and putting him in the shade?? any advice on this? :confused:

Lottie will try and put some pictures on later...

Thanks Biotechpete, will have a look at this website ..

Thanks Lotti and Ruby79. :)

My pup is a little stubborn pup too. sits on his bum and wont move when i try and get him out of room, when we go to bed!! but so funny. He just always looks sad with his sad eyes.

Ruby79, ive been doing a lot of research about a bull dog been out in the sun. He was out in the garden most of the day Sunday, but i kept worrying and putting him in the shade?? any advice on this? :confused:

Lottie will try and put some pictures on later...

Bulldogs are extremely prone to heat stroke, but you will be ok at the minute, just make sure he keeps getting drinks of water, and doesnt run about to much in it. But we only tend to really watch them in it in june /july/august. You are right to be careful though. Wait till you try and get him on a lead, i spent 3 weeks at puppy class with our first her rooted to the floor not moving, whilst all the lovely labs, spaniels etc ran round very obedient ( very embarrassing) sooooo be prepared for that.

If we tell ours off the sit facing the wall after !!! They are just very sensitive especially to your voice but truly an amazing breed. They are so soft , loyal and dependable and ours would sit and hug you all day !!

If he is your first bullie, make sure you are cleansing his wrinkles , under his nose fold and his little tail is clean, they can get a bit sore if not. Get him out on the lead as soon as possible, dont expect too much though they are not like a lot of dogs when it comes to training.

Also be prepared for everyone stopping to stroke him , when we walk our its like going out with royalty !! whats his name ?? xx:thumbsup::thumbsup: