Potty training a puppy

hi

really wanting some advice on potty training our pup. we have had out british bull dog a week... every time he messes we rub his nose in it and put him straight on his potty pad. But no matter how many times we do this, he goes to the toliet every where but his potty pad!!! :help:

i dont think rubbing noses in it is the way forward here, but then again im not an expert my akita used to be a nightmare but it worked out in the end by watching and every time it looked like she was going to do summat i put her on the paper and when she finally got the idea of this i started moving it nearer and nearer the door till it was eventually outside it wasnt easy by a long shot but it needed loads of patience and time. good luck though hun :thumbsup:

potty pad :huh: take the dog out regularly, watch for the signs it wants to do something and use a crate at night.

there is a school of thought that puppy pads only encourage a pup to toilet indoors - which is incredibly confusing for the pup

clean accidents thoroughly with either bio washing liquid or pet odour killer else he'll be attracted back to the same spot

watch him like a hawk, and when he circles and sniffs, hoik him outside

I use puppy training pads for my puppies and i think they are really good. I move the pad nearer to the door and i always put a USED pad outside in the garden, also take the puppy outside as much as possible.

Always take a puppy outside are use the pad when they first wake up and after a meal.

Never rub there nose in it,

Puppys need a lot of patience and praise.

Hes not had his needles to go out side yet, thats why we have been using potty pads!!!! Ive been told to rub his nose in it then put on potty pad!

No need to rub his nose in it, he won't even realise that your doing it because he has wee'd all that it will do is teach him that humans are unpredictably nasty,

There is no quick fix for house training it takes lots of patience and perseverance, I have never used the pads except for tiny puppies and then only for night times.

I think it is better to teach them to "go" where you really want them to go, it is safe to let him into the garden before his jabs just not out on the street or where other dogs go.

How old is the puppy?

Been a long long time since I had to do any puppy toliet training. It takes a lot of patience so stick at it and you will get there eventually, lots of standing outside and fuss but worth it in the long run.

Hes not had his needles to go out side yet, thats why we have been using potty pads!!!! Ive been told to rub his nose in it then put on potty pad!

This is a very old wives tale and belive me a very cruel thing to do which will make your dog nervous and fearful of you. Please, please, please don't do this again!

Pads are great and they do work, the trick is to pick a spot where you will need the dog to do it's business (if you put a pad near a door it makes the transition to outdoors much easier). We used the kitchen door so it was laid like a doormat in front of the door. Right as soon as your pup eats/wakes it will need taking to the pad. Make sure whenever he does it in the right place you give him lots of praise and a favourite treat. If he's very young he will have very, very little control over his business so a huge ammount of patience is needed. you can only tell the dog off if you see it in the act otherwise its pointless and this should be a "no" followed by taking it to the pad-no scaring tactics it will only make the dog scared to "go" in front of you. If you don't see it just remove the dog from the area and clean it up-don't let them see you doing this it can turn into an attention thing!!! I ended up following mine like a hawk as soon as she started walking around and sniffing she was took to the pad immediatly-very hit and miss at first and a full time job even when your favourite program is on. However if you don't have the patience you should definatly not have got a puppy! Bear in mind they are babies and need praise for doing the right thing not scolding for doing the wrong thing-if you do this you will never have a good relationship with your dog. As above put used pads outside too.

As above you need to clean up very well as the scent will draw the pup back again-we have laminate in a lot of the house so this was fairly easy!One thing you need to change the pad if it becomes very soiled but a little wee or two of thier smell will help the dog know to go in that place so don't be desperate to change the pads. Good luck!

Edited by Emma_5207

you have to monitor his behaviour is ther any thing he does before he has an accident find the tell put him in the garden and lavish him with praise that worked for my 2

OH MY GOD - I AM SO ANGRY

what makes you think that rubbing a tiny puppies nose in his own mess will make him go toilet in the right place! would you do this with your children? i think not, he needs guidence and training, do yourself a favour and do some research about it on the internet, which you should have done before gettign the puppy!

sorry, my reaction was a little extreme! I shall in future try to help and not let my anger get the better of me, great advice above Emma, and chezzfaye, priase worked with my 3 and numerous fosters.