Blue screen of death :(

Been reading the other threads on this, but they aren't much help.

I cannot attempt to try any of these things because my keyboard won't let me boot from my windows CD nor will it let me move to 'last known good configuration'.

This is the message I get on the blue screen of death:

Stop: C0000218 {Registry File Failure} Registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE. It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

Any advice? If I can get my keyboard to work whilst windows is uploading I may be able to do something about it, but I can't. Very frustrating.

If the registry'a corrupted, then you're pretty much stuffed and the only way to save your PC is a complete re-install of Windows.. At the very least you'll have to re-install the drivers for your keyboard unless it's USB.

Are you using a wireless keyboard? Regardless, get another basic keyboard from somewhere and use that to get into the bios (then you'll at least know your keyboard works before you go any further).

Did anything lead up to this?

The corruption of your registry shouldn't in any way affect the ability of your bios to detect and respond to your keyboard (although some motherboards by default require the older PS/2 connection rather than USB - mine does, and I keep an old keyboard for just such emergencies). Be sure your keyboard is plugged directly into one of the sockets on your motherboard, not through USB multisockets or PCI cards.

Microsoft do have instructions up for effecting a recovery http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 although these won't work with OEM software.

Are you using a wireless keyboard? Regardless, get another basic keyboard from somewhere and use that to get into the bios (then you'll at least know your keyboard works before you go any further).

Did anything lead up to this?

I'm using a basic keyboard, that is plugged into a standard USB port at the back.

The keyboard will work initially...i.e. it'll let me select the CD/DVD boot menu- but it won't let me choose any further options.

Therefore, I can't attempt to do startup repair or anything like that.

After doing a google

and following the first path...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t39695.html

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822705

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

Which is the same as what *Cinderella* prescribed...

I'm using a basic keyboard, that is plugged into a standard USB port at the back.

The keyboard will work initially...i.e. it'll let me select the CD/DVD boot menu- but it won't let me choose any further options.

Therefore, I can't attempt to do startup repair or anything like that.

Can I just clarify exactly what is happening. You can boot into the BIOS and make changes to the BIOS settings (such as to set the first boot to CD). While you are doing that the keyboard works normally.

When you boot from a CD however, although the computer boots the keyboard isn't recognised.

Is that correct? Or is the keyboard not working fully even when you're in the BIOS?

Can I just clarify exactly what is happening. You can boot into the BIOS and make changes to the BIOS settings (such as to set the first boot to CD). While you are doing that the keyboard works normally.

When you boot from a CD however, although the computer boots the keyboard isn't recognised.

Is that correct? Or is the keyboard not working fully even when you're in the BIOS?

Yeah, I can boot into the BIOS, and when it says "Press any key to boot from CD" it won't let me because the keyboard won't let me.

When I don't go into BIOS settings, it'll come up with the list of options:

1) Safe mode

2) Safe mode with networking

3) Last know good configuration.

4) Start windows normally.

It'll just go to option 4, as that's the default one. I can't select any other option.

P.S. FYI A standard keyboard uses the PS2 port!

Yeah, I can boot into the BIOS, and when it says "Press any key to boot from CD" it won't let me because the keyboard won't let me.

When I don't go into BIOS settings, it'll come up with the list of options:

1) Safe mode

2) Safe mode with networking

3) Last know good configuration.

4) Start windows normally.

It'll just go to option 4, as that's the default one. I can't select any other option.

So the keyboard works while you're in the BIOS? Because "Press any key to boot from CD" is not in the BIOS, but after the POST. Does the keyboard at any point work?

P.S. FYI A standard keyboard uses the PS2 port!

By basic, I mean one that isn't wireless.

(Smart ass :P )

So the keyboard works while you're in the BIOS? Because "Press any key to boot from CD" is not in the BIOS, but after the POST. Does the keyboard at any point work?

You've lost me a little.

The keyboard works at the first screen when:

- I press F11 when the PC boots up which lets me select where to boot from.

- Or F2 to setup.

If I press neither of these things:

- It'll go through to windows error recovery, where my keyboard does not work to let me select another option, and it'll try to start windows normally.