I'm proud of my city!

... a city were the people are friendly, and welcome strangers with open arms... Where people look after each other, and stand up for what they believe in... And pull together in adversity

We're the salt of the earth, but strive to better ourselves. We can look anybody in the eye, and know we are any man's equal

We've produced some of the best bands the charts have ever seen, some of the greatest artists, and an impressive collection of actors, as well as sporting heros...

... what's your city like?

Surely this isnt sheffield? must be a joke:thumbsup:

My City?

Full of people who are stubborn, have no time for anyone else, high crime rates across the City, shootings are common, a crap accent, not many decent famous people.

We do have consistent Premiership football though, so it all balances out.

where might this utopia be? Not everyone likes football....

Ditto to everything Strix says. Sheffield is what you make it. I would be interested to see what the many negative posters on here do to try to contribute to making their lives better. If you have problems with crime , set up a neighbour watch scheme, if you see problems everywhere , i am sure they will find you! There are 100s of worthy causes in Sheffield that are crying out for volunteers, so, get busy, stop moaning and go out and improve your lot! Oh, happy easter! Btw

Ditto to everything Strix says. Sheffield is what you make it. I would be interested to see what the many negative posters on here do to try to contribute to making their lives better. If you have problems with crime , set up a neighbour watch scheme, if you see problems everywhere , i am sure they will find you! There are 100s of worthy causes in Sheffield that are crying out for volunteers, so, get busy, stop moaning and go out and improve your lot! Oh, happy easter! Btw

Dont put a statement like this unless you know the true facts about people, who contribute to the the positive and negative comments. I have tried to help in the community to fight the crime, reporting to the police on observations that go on around the neighbourhood, its a pity others dont do the same, the recent break in to my property, the 2 youths were observed by a number of people (fact, passer bys observed on CCTV, but no reports,,,comments made to the police 'yes did see 2 youths on moped no helmets, hoodies, gloves on riding up and down the road - thought they were upto no good, but didint report it'.

I stood up to 2 youths who were harrassing 2 young girls walking home past my house, the 2 in question were driving a car both high as a kite on some smoking substance, and what did i get...assaulted by one of them...., so negative comments are not there just to put people down, but are there to put some perspective on the thread.

I’ve been living in Sheffield for over 11 yrs and it has changed a lot since i first moved here some good and some really bad particular the massive car park built in the city centre what’s all that about and the box standard new buildings talk about boring!

where might this utopia be? Not everyone likes football....

Birmingham. Surely everyone likes football. :o

Surely this isnt sheffield? must be a joke:thumbsup:
you didn't read all the thread :P - Sheffield isn't MY city ;)

i am proud to come from sheffield and proud to be british,i am ashamed sometimes though when you hear of some of the things that happen with the young people of today,stabbings, shootings, muggings,drugs etc,sheffield is not what it used to be but then neither is any other city in this country.

i wouldnt want to live anywhere else though and would never deny where i came from.

what will this country be like in another 20yrs,it doesnt bare thinking about,scary

Edited by roughy101

MY City?

Well, it had a bloody hard tiime of it ever since it shut the gates on the king in the ECW

bombed to bits in WW2 but nobody took too much notice as it was "oop north"

Built itself back up as a stronghold of fishing and shipping

Then that went to pot in the 70s

Slagged off as such a terrible place to live by bandwagon-jumping southern twits who, before their Arsenals and Chelseas were forced to "lower themselves" to playing there probably couldn't have put a pin within a 50 mile radius of it, such is the strength of their "local knowledge"

Featured on TV programmes about violent and dangerous saturday nights out, yet I never had an ounce of bother....

And has a bigger fair than Nottingham once the fairgrounders who do both fairs actually get there fron Nottingham when the dates overlap..

But Sheffield is OK too I suppose :D

We're also going to spend 25 years mending the holes in our roads.....why not employ more people and fix the roads in a shorter time?
The Highways PFI is a 25 year maintenance contract. It doesn't mean it will take 25 years to bring the roads up to scratch.

Personally I think Sheffield is pretty good.

... a city were the people are friendly, and welcome strangers with open arms... Where people look after each other, and stand up for what they believe in... And pull together in adversity

We're the salt of the earth, but strive to better ourselves. We can look anybody in the eye, and know we are any man's equal

We've produced some of the best bands the charts have ever seen, some of the greatest artists, and an impressive collection of actors, as well as sporting heros...

... what's your city like?

Have to say that you might think Sheffielders are open and warm, but when I moved here 12 years ago from Nottingham I found the people here cold and extremely unfriendly - people who aren't from here seem to stick together though! It takes years and years to be accepted here - Only reason I came here in first place was that there was always a load of jobs here and you get paid more here than in Nottingham! That's still the case, and I've met loads of my fellow countymen here over the years!!!

I will give you your bands though! Sheffield has produced some great music, and far more varied than anything Manchester ever came up with - you have everything from dodgy 80's electro pop, through to hair metal, rockabilly, soul and classic indie! Nottingham has always produced better actors though! Glenda Jackson, Donald Pleasance, Samantha Morton to name but a few... Notts people are very friendly I reckon, although my Nan was from tyneside, and she thought they were all cliquey and ignorant when she turned up, so maybe we aren't as welcoming as we think we are either???

Sorry - See now you mean Liverpool??? Sorry mate, you've not had any decent music since The Beatles!!! Ok, The Coral are ok, but they'll never set the world alight will they? And actors??? Enlighten me! lol! You are friendly to strangers in the pub though! Sheffielders wouldn't dream of that - God forbid the interloper would want to stay!