.. where the ducks fly backwards

Good evening everybody.

I wonder if anyone can help me, when I was growing up on City Road in the late 60s early 70s (I live in Bristol now) I remember always asking my Dad when he was off out where he was going (probably to the pub!) and he always used to tell me he was going to "Unky Funks where the ducks fly backwards!"

It used to drive me crazy, and he'd never tell me where he was really going.

Has anyone else ever heard this or know where this old saying comes from? I use it on my kids now and it has the same affect on them as it used to with me :D

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Edited by andybristol
I forgot to sign the post

"the ducks fly backwards" in most industrial towns to keep the muck/soot/smog out of their eyes.

Asked whats for dinner he used to say"a roast leg of liver" or "a run round the table and a kick at the cellar door" He wasn't as mad as he sounds!

My dad used to go "up a nick in Ashton". No idea what it meant.

Shane, your Dad and mine must have been from the same stock, he used to say when asked what was for dinner "3 runs round the kitchen table and a bite of the cellar door!"

Where did your Dad get the "puppy trotting to see the monkeys jump" from?

My Dad used to go and see a man about a dog. I was always disappointed when he came back without one :(

I remember me, my sister and my mum getting in the car with my dad..."where are we going dad" I said and he said "wherever the voices in my head tell me to go and dont worry about those exhaust fumes".

If we asked our dad where he was going he would reply "there and back again to see how far it is.

When i used to ask my Nan what was for tea she used to say

" Air pie and windy puddin "

Or " Bread and pull it "

Any one else heard of this??

both my mom and nanan would say a good few of the above. Another was 'what's that, scotch mist' if we asked where something was and it was under our nose. Think scotch was the word, could have been scotts'?