Devonshire Jam 2005

Originally posted by LesleyB

I find it a really horribly intrusive thing for any website designer to dictate to me how big I want my browser window to be. I just clicked on the jam jar on that site and got a new window opened at full screen.

I closed it before it had finished loading.

http://www.devonshirejam.com

Sorry LesleyB, that you didn't like what I did there and felt it better to close your browser than check out the website in all its strawberry conserve flavoured glory... I hope it didn't put you off going to the Jam, which was a great event with much fun had by all!

There now follows shameless justification for use of said pop-up window:

With self contained Flash presentation websites for a captive audience it's often preferable to hide browser navigation and menu tools which is why I made it a full screen pop-up window that only appears when you click the button for it. It's not like it was done in an underhand way like those awful annoying pop-ups for stuff you don't want to know about.

I felt it was better for presentation purposes of the self-contained Flash part of the website to have a full-size pop-up window that would fit any screen mode rather than have it in a smaller pop-up window that might appear confusing and be overlooked (as I had done it originally btw) or in the original browser window, where someone with a lower screen mode might have scroll bars all over the place. The Flash element is a static 700x500 pixels you see, so anyone with a screen mode of 800x600 would get the scroll bars if it was in the original browser window.

The site doesn't open in Internet Explorers horrid & hated 'Full Screen' mode by the way, just in a browser window that takes up the full size of the application area whatever your screen resolution... there is a difference, honest! With the pop-up window like the one I used it *should* still allow you access to the Windows taskbar etc (if indeed you are using Windows)... and the close and minimize buttons are still there if you want to shut it down... which you did without problem I gather ;)

I guess I should have made the pop-up window resizable though! I'll go sort that out as soon as I can.

As Jayne from DevJam said, a one-page text only version was provided for accessibility purposes, so hopefully if you don't like using Flash based pop-up webistes, or can't, all the info was provided there instead...

Thanks for your comments though... I'll definitely consider what I use in the way of popups in the future!

martianrobot of mixmanmedia

Saturday was great, big big thanks to Hallam Volunteering and Carcrash and everyone else involved (apart from the backstage crew who stole my beer! lol)

I had a great time an hope everyone enjoyed our set.

Alex Ecanasia

hey everyone just wondered if anyone went down.

thought it was a brilliant day and that the organisors (hallam volunteering) deserve a lot praise for the work they put in.

Dj tent was brilliant but having a huge band tent with still loads of people sitting on the grass outside drinking and listening with all the music going on just made my day.

I Went:clap:

I was sat on a pink blanket outside the dance tent and when the rain came down we went for a dance :headbang:

Great atmosphere!

Well done to the organisers:thumbsup:

did it rain??!

i must have been drunk...

I went down - absolutely LOVED IT!

For the second year running those 'scummy students', (as people like to call them) have kick-started my summer of festival attendance in quality style. The whole day was fantastic, despite the sun not putting in much of an appearance. I totally LOVE Daybreak and the last DJ was wicked!

Highly recommend it to anyone and everyone for next year!

:clap:

Brilliant day!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Good to see the best band in Sheffield .." Bhuna " !!!

Well done all involved in the organising of the venue.

I went from about 1pm onwards had a great time so did the kids. It was well organised and handing out Ponchos at the end was a nice touch.

The music was ok but it's a shame Bison didn't play. Champion Kickboxer and another band I can't remember the name of who liked their Hats were very good.

I went along at about 4pm. I was flying solo but it didn't matter cos the atmosphere was great. Great music, great people, Great day...

I went along and was there for over five hours as I've said on the other thread. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there and have found a new band to be interested in namely Silverwheel.

Have to admit to a worried habit that I've started to develop which is looking at people and wondering if they are forum members.

Thought the music was of a high quality and the clean porta-loo's were a definite plus though as I left at five I can't confirm that they were still nice by nine.

I was the tall bloke in the darwin theory t shirt moving stuff around on stage. Great day out. I didn't get to see much of the dance tent but I got to meet iffypop

I walked through it, although i didnt stay (had to get to the Odeon) it looked like a good laugh, i would have stuk around but like i said, i needed to go.