Best fish & chips in Crookes?

Being a crookes fish and chip connoisseur for many years I was always Admiral everytime but I tried New Cod On The Block the other day after the rave reviews on here and I was not disapointed. It is by far the best fish and chips ive had in years. Big portions, just on the right side of greasy and value for money. Keep it up!

Being a crookes fish and chip connoisseur for many years I was always Admiral everytime but I tried New Cod On The Block the other day after the rave reviews on here and I was not disapointed. It is by far the best fish and chips ive had in years. Big portions, just on the right side of greasy and value for money. Keep it up!

I agree. And cooked to order.

its got to be the admiral, especially lunchtime special! chips, mini fish, sausage n a choice of gravy, mushy peas or curry sauce...

:thumbsup:

I went in Broomhead fish and chips the other day and the lady lifted the fish out of the glass thing by hand, it was a bit gross

I went in Broomhead fish and chips the other day and the lady lifted the fish out of the glass thing by hand, it was a bit gross

does that mean there were 144 of them, or am i just old fashioned?

What Aboy Chippy Rippons. Joe only had one eye and there was a littlr room in the back where you could eat

I used to work at the Admiral. It is run well and kept clean. Because it is popular, the food is always freshly stocked. But whether you get a decent fish or chips really does depend who's frying. One older lad used to under cook the fish quite often. Another younger lad judged it really well and the fish was hot and crisp. That's going back a few years, but I bet the older guy still works there. :hihi:

I used to work at the Admiral. It is run well and kept clean. Because it is popular, the food is always freshly stocked. But whether you get a decent fish or chips really does depend who's frying. One older lad used to under cook the fish quite often. Another younger lad judged it really well and the fish was hot and crisp. That's going back a few years, but I bet the older guy still works there. :hihi:

How many years back did you work there. I was there 1998-2000 and after that used to fill in for the owner when he was on holiday. It's all about judging the amount of customers who are coming in. Some fryers seem to forget that the fish will keep on cooking in the hotplate and if they cook too many then the fish that are left can soon become dry.

I would always prefer for customers to wait a minute or two more for their fish, rather than having too many left at quieter times (when you go into a chippy on a quiet afternoon and they have fish in the hotplate - you have no idea how long it has been there!)

Too many places have no pride in what they do as long as the till is getting full, so they don't realise when standards start slipping. And to be fair some customers wouldn't know a decent piece of fish if it slapped them across the face. As for the rest of us - we keep tryin new places but are often disappointed.

on crookes u have to go to broomheads! never ever do admiral!! or drop down onto commonside to new cod on the block

just tried the admiral the other day based on your recommendation here -- now my favourite

Not quite Crookes, but down the hill, Malin Bridge chippie is spot on if you like mushy pea fritters

Broomheads is DISGUSTING!!! Tasteless fish!!! Shocking customer service!!!!!! Tiny Chip portions. I went once other day and it will be the last time!

Admiral is....ok but not its hit and miss.

I love Bole Hill Chippy (although now re named). If you dont like the look of the fish and the owner is there he will do you a fresh one, or once my hubby said they looked small so her gave him 2!!! Now thats good! The staff are always friendly and have a chat!