School Cheese Pie

Do you all remember the cheese flan (not quiche) from school days.

A friend of mine makes it and I've just picked one up from her - Can ONLY be eaten with chips & beans, it's tradition!!

Can't wait to get stuck in now:banana:

Oh yes! Theres a little cafe near my office that make it and its great! Makes me want a sweaty burger in a plastic bag (at school in the 90's you see!)

Edited by Smack Jack

Mouth watering at the thought. Have you got the recipe?

was that the same cheese and mash pie that we had in stafford?

it was great, but i always had chip and gravy with it.

as for sweaty burgers...we definitely got those too! :gag:

x

Ooooh get a recipe on, that's the stuff of dreams :love:

Actually I used to work at a place and when we ordered buffets in the place that did them, did that and cant for the life of me remember what the place is now :confused:

Found this on the net:

Cheese Flan

Serves 4.

Pastry:

200g Plain white flour

100g Hard vegetable fat

35mls Water

Filling:

100mls Whole milk

3 Egg

100g mature cheddar

½ onion diced (optional)

Salt

Pepper

Method:

1. Pre-heat an oven to 190*C.

2. Place the flour, margarine, lard, cheddar cheese and 2g of salt in to a food processor, and mix until they resemble fine bread crumbs. Then add a little of the water at a time until the mixture starts to come together and form a dough. Wrap the pastry in cling-film and place in the refrigerator to rest.

5. Beat the eggs and milk until the egg is mixed well.

6. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface until large enough to line a flan ring or the oven proof dish you are using.

7. Place the cheese (and onion) in to the bottom of the lined flan ring, and. Pour over the egg mixture until it reaches 0.5cm from the top of the flan ring.

8. Place in the oven for approximately 30-45 minutes, until the egg mixture is set and is golden brown.

School cheese pie was my absolute favourite!

I was, until recently, a secretary in a school. Whenever cheesepie was on the menu for the kids, we used to take orders from the adults. I always used to get a couple of pieces, and bring it home for tea - with chips and beans of course!!!:D

This was obviously a 90s or regional thing- I stopped having school meals in 1983 (in Staffordshire) and I don't remember cheese pie at all!

It sounds like I missed a wonderful thing. Was it better than chocolate sponge with chocolate custard or pink custard?

Oh yes! Theres a little cafe near my office that make it and its great! Makes me want a sweaty burger in a plastic bag (at school in the 90's you see!)

Wheres the little cafe?? :)

Found this on the net:

Cheese Flan

Serves 4.

Pastry:

200g Plain white flour

100g Hard vegetable fat

35mls Water

Filling:

100mls Whole milk

3 Egg

100g mature cheddar

½ onion diced (optional)

Salt

Pepper

Method:

1. Pre-heat an oven to 190*C.

2. Place the flour, margarine, lard, cheddar cheese and 2g of salt in to a food processor, and mix until they resemble fine bread crumbs. Then add a little of the water at a time until the mixture starts to come together and form a dough. Wrap the pastry in cling-film and place in the refrigerator to rest.

5. Beat the eggs and milk until the egg is mixed well.

6. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface until large enough to line a flan ring or the oven proof dish you are using.

7. Place the cheese (and onion) in to the bottom of the lined flan ring, and. Pour over the egg mixture until it reaches 0.5cm from the top of the flan ring.

8. Place in the oven for approximately 30-45 minutes, until the egg mixture is set and is golden brown.

Just a hint, between 6 & 7, I would blind bake pastry. Just pop it in the oven for 10 mins, let cool, then add cheese etc....

Mmmmmmmmmmm cheese pie ;)