Henry Matthews and sons

I just bumped this thread up as someone was asking about Henry Mathews

Len Matthews, one of the sons, lived at 167 Hall Road, Handsworth, from 1939 until the late '40's, with his wife Mary, who was also the receptionist/secretary at Cricket Inn Road (I remember her voice well saying "Sheffield 23230"). Mary sadly died young (they didn't have any children), and Len remarried (and I believe did have children subsequently). He had moved by now to Greno Lodge, set well back on the left going out towards Chapeltown (?), and we lost contact thereafter, though my father did work for a spell at S A Ward, next door to Henry Matthews and Sons on Cricket Inn Road, and may have seen Len from time to time. My recollections of Len are of his lovely black Triumph Dolomite, his smart wavy hair, and his lovely tenor voice - as a kid during the War, I occasionally played the piano in their front room accompanying Len as sang for us and Mr and Mrs Keyworth from across the street (One Day When We Were Young was one of his favourites).

Hi Jack Hallows have you seen on this site that Frank Matthews junior is a member .

Message for Frankjnr. Your grandfather was my dad's uncle. His name was George Matthews & we share a greatgrandmother, Gertrude. My dad told us a lot of stories about Matthews family & the haulage company. You might remember dad's sisters, Nellie, Bet & Dot. Dot spent a lot of time at one of her cousins house, I think it was Harry. Nellie, Dot & my dad & families all emigrated to Australia in the 50's. Does Elijah Proverb ring a bell. We've got a lovely photo of Gertrude when she lived in Bernard street, she was a handsome woman, if you're interested I could send you a copy. Our grandfather, George Frederick Stuart was the brother of your grandfather Henry (who was your father?)

Sonia & Susan Matthews (your distant cousins)

Edited by LuluM

I have sent Frank Matthews a PM for you as you have not got enough posts to send one LuluM.Frank lives near me but i havent seen him for a while,hope you get in touch with him.

Thanks bullerboY. I'm new to this and any help is very welcome.

LuluM

Len Mathews was married to my dads sister Mary (nee cawrey) my aunt and his first wife. I remember visiting them with my Dad, Mother and brother Ken at Greno lodge, I have photos of Len and Mary taken in the hall at Greno lodge just as they were about to leave  for a dinner and dance at the Cutlers Hall    Dennis cawrey 

This is a message for frankjnr

I have signed up to this forum as I am trying to help my dad locate Margaret who he believes was Henry’s daughter. He went to school with Margaret and he has one of her school books he would like to return. His name is Gerald Gregory and it was Gregg’s School in Sheffield.

I am hoping you can help me please?

Thanks

Claire

16 hours ago, ClaireMa said:

This is a message for frankjnr

I have signed up to this forum as I am trying to help my dad locate Margaret who he believes was Henry’s daughter. He went to school with Margaret and he has one of her school books he would like to return. His name is Gerald Gregory and it was Gregg’s School in Sheffield.

I am hoping you can help me please?

Thanks

Claire

To anyone that may know Margaret.

Please don’t give out her private or personal information without her prior knowledge and consent.

Instead please make her aware of this thread.

Thank you.

Edited by nikki-red

Thank you for your concern Nikki-red.  This was done at my fathers request and he gave me permission to post on here. He is hopeless with IT, hence why I have posted this on his behalf.

This is a genuine request to frankjnr

Thank you

hi wasant there a timber mirchantes on  savel st called Thomas Matthews  at the side of the pub  called the hole in the wall