Hallamshire Maternity Home Chapeltown

Was that the only maternity home in Chapeltown then. My brother was born in a maternity home in chapeltown but dont know the name . That was back in 1959. I remember being picked up by my dad to look through the window to see my mum. Prob wasnt allowed in at 4 years old

Was on Steven Crescent as previously said .it was also used as offices for the Council Highways team during the South Yorkshire Council days Now a small housing development built in the 90s

I was born there on 5th July 1948 at about 3am I believe, making me one of the first NHS patients.

I wonder if the records have been kept and if so where as I was born prematurely and would love to know by how much.

I was born there on 22 December 1946 at 3.20 am. I spent my first Christmas in hospital with a Red Cross parcel present from the Canadian Red Cross.

I lived in Sheffield, but moved to Broad Inge Cres, Burncross on marrying in 1967. When I had my first baby in January 1972, I went to Northern General, since the Hallamshire did not allow fathers to be present. As a 'bright young thing' I was determined that this should happen! My mother was horrified at the thought! (how times change!).

A neighbour, living on the cup-de-sac part of Meadow Drive, was a sister at the hospital in the '60s. Can't remember her name.

I now live in Queensland Australia, but visit the UK and old friends in Burncross every year.

You must have been at Burncross School the same time as me although a year ahead. I lived on Burncross Road until I was about 12 when my parents moved to Barnsley

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 16:33 ----------

Sorry read your reply again you were not there at that time

I’m Martyn ( Laycock) Born that Hospital 1st March 1946. Hi! I was trying to establish when that particular hospital was actually founded, opened. Do you, Or does anyone? Know.

(Hi Often suggested I may well have been conceived on VE Day!) 

I’ve tried all the Sheffield and Wartime web stuff but not managed to get anything Positive.

For the record I was a Resident of Stocksbridge from Birth to 1964 since then been around Europe, The World almost! (Including Australia, > Queensland > Maroochydore ) What varied lives many of us early Boomers have enjoyed, Martyn, Cyprus 16/03/2019

On 07/04/2009 at 20:51, rosie said:

I was born there in 1963.

Me too! 20/2/63