Run down areas? What do you do for a living?

i live in woodthorpe neer castlebeck and i love it here ive never had any trouble my neighbours are lovely and its not too noisy somyimes the run down areas and where everyone is i bit skint isnt the worse thing in the world its where real friendships are and people look after one another not in the fancy areas where the ppl dont evn know there naibours names

i know where you mean. i live the other side, top part near stans chippy? lol one of the perks

I originate from manor and manor park and am one of 4. We all have good jobs, as do our husbands . . Also my folks still live there, and my dad at 68, still has a little part time job himself. The jobs are retail manager, local govt. Officer, housing officer, charity officer, and electricians. All of us now live in our own houses, have suffered one house break in, 10+car damage, one stolen car but none of these happened whilst we lived on the manor! Speaks for itself.

My youngest sister grew up in Darnall, went to Waltheof school, from there she went to Sheffield Uni where she got a degree in Biochemistry. After that she went up to Newcastle to study for a PhD in something that I can't even begin to understand, and now has a top job working for Wellcome Trust in Cambridge.

My family were born and bred in Firth Park in a council house.

Sister is a freelance groom now living in her own home in Totley.

Brother lives with his partner in their own home on the Manor, he's an electrical engineer she is a archeobotonist who freelances for Universities amongst others.

I live with my partner in our own home, he runs his own business, I work as a project officer and am at Uni part time.

Your location does not necessarily reflect your ability to work and do well.

i also live on the arbourthorne and my husband has worked for 31 years in the same job..and works very hard as a paintsprayer...people on my road are very kind and always say hi to you...i also was born on the wybourn which had a reputation but everybody looked after each other and helped out ,have to say that was around 45 years though.

My Mother was raised in Canklow, Rotherham and my Dad Herringthorpe and me and my sisters were all born and riased in Ferham, Rotherham, where my mum still lives. Despite the terrible reputation that Rotherham has gained, (teenage pregnancies, Chavs, high unemployment and mums feeding burgers to kids through school railings) my family has much to be proud of. My father worked from the age of 15 to qwhen he died at 63, (sadly before he had any chance of enjoying his well earned retirement) and mum worked in-between raising her family. My sisters and myself all did well at school and college and have never been out of work, (apart from when our children were babies/toddlers) and have good careers, own our own homes and have children that are following in the same footsteps. If you are brought up with a strong work ethicand taught right from wrong, you are going to end up as responsible citizens who contibute to the social fabric of life.

And I have to say that for a couple of years I worked at a medical centre on the Manor Park estate and met some wonderful people who would gve you their last penny if you were in need.

So its a shame really that when you read threads about the best and worst parts to live, most people wrongly choose areas like our own because they have been taught to, not because they know so. I personally think that having a few struggles along the way, is one of the main factors in (as someone said) becomming the type of person who wud give their last penny away, because they have felt the struggle themselves at some point or other. I too have had break ins in the past, never in a house admittedly, always the car, either car seats stolen, just windows smashed for the sake of it, or at its worst the number plates stolen to commit a ram raid (luckily caught in the act) all of which happened in the s8 area of sheffield, as it happens you dont really hear many people from the s8 area giving other areas too much of a slagging, its mainly the very posh areas.... The very posh areas with their highly educated children.... who seemingly are very ill educated regarding their own city..

I live at Dore, I suck rocks for a living.

You must be the first person ever to come onto a thread titled "run down areas" and put the word "DORE" to it lol

I live at manor top; I'm a software Quality Analyst. I have a degree and numerous professional qualifications. My wife is currently training to be a Nurse.

One of my neighbours is a school teacher, the others are either single mums, retired or disabled and can't work.

So.. hey! *waves*

I live on arbourthorne and work in an office on a decent wage although im currently on maternity leave. Im hoping to return to education in 2010 as I have worked since leaving school in order to support myself as I was brought up with two choices: school then Higher education or School then a job. I decided for the latter and here I am Happy hardworking and just about to start a family living on good old Arbourthorne in a lovely house with nice neighbours!

i grew up in a tuff deprived area in the north east of england wot breads crime n hard men. i box n hope 2 b a pro 1 day or a tat2 artist, these places make alot of ppl want 2 get out n b succsessful coz therz nothing there n it makes u hungry n wrk hard 4 anything.

WTF? :huh:

Anyway, I live in S6 as a freelance shepherd/murderer. ;)