Run down areas? What do you do for a living?

I have noticed that alot of people seem to slag off people who live on (mainly) the Manor, but also other areas, as low life scum who dont work, rob old people for a living, or graffitt etc. I also notice people from these estates not wanting to be tarred all the time with the same brush, so was wondering what do people in these areas do for a living??????? Are we foolishly believing that only people from leafy suburbs are capable of gaining a degree, or are you studying for yours? I live at Arbourthorne, which often gets a good old battering as being one of the worst,all the people on our rd work full time or are retired. The houses and gardens on my rd are all looked after and kept tidy, although i must admit i have seen plenty of places in the area that clearly dont take as much care, im grateful to be where i am.... I have seen plenty of houses in nice areas what are in the same condition, and seen people from nicer areas living off the proceeds of drugs money and robbery, just the same as you tend to find on "run down council estates" as they are generally described. So all you people from run down council estates who dont want to be tarred, heres your chance to untarr yourselves:thumbsup:

I used to live in one rough(ish) area and I worked in an office. Quite a few people on my road also worked. But there were also those who did conform to the stereotype as well. Less than there were who didn't, I thought, but the ones who were causing trouble were always so much more noticeable and there always seemed more of them!

It's pretty similar where I am now. The bad are in the minority but as they're always the first ones you see/notice, many people assume that everybody is like that even though they're not.

This is an old age debate about nature or nurture.

Intelligent people, beautiful people, caring people of all colours, persuasions and skills live all over. Regardless of their class, neighbourhood or road.

Idiots live in middle class areas as well as council estates. The same as house proud gardeners live on the manor as they do in Dore.

There are bigoted people within the asian and British communities just as there are community minded.

Unfortunately we are all guilty of generalisation.

I was having a beer in a pub on the Manor quite recently. And apart from the blatant disregard for the smoking ban by some, all was quiet and pleasant.

When I drove away there were houses with block paved drives and trimmed hedges next to scruffy hellholes. But it was the same in suburbia.

I live on Arbourthorne, was born and bred on the Manor. Im a qualified electrician, and build, test and install energy saving and building management systems for a living. Prior to that, I built high voltage switchgear for the mining and process control industrys.

I live on one of the estates off Stannington Road and I'm a Civil Servant.

i grew up in a tuff deprived area in the north east of england wot breads crime n hard men. i box n hope 2 b a pro 1 day or a tat2 artist, these places make alot of ppl want 2 get out n b succsessful coz therz nothing there n it makes u hungry n wrk hard 4 anything.

I have noticed that alot of people seem to slag off people who live on (mainly) the Manor, but also other areas, as low life scum who dont work, rob old people for a living, or graffitt etc. I also notice people from these estates not wanting to be tarred all the time with the same brush, so was wondering what do people in these areas do for a living??????? Are we foolishly believing that only people from leafy suburbs are capable of gaining a degree, or are you studying for yours? I live at Arbourthorne, which often gets a good old battering as being one of the worst,all the people on our rd work full time or are retired. The houses and gardens on my rd are all looked after and kept tidy, although i must admit i have seen plenty of places in the area that clearly dont take as much care, im grateful to be where i am.... I have seen plenty of houses in nice areas what are in the same condition, and seen people from nicer areas living off the proceeds of drugs money and robbery, just the same as you tend to find on "run down council estates" as they are generally described. So all you people from run down council estates who dont want to be tarred, heres your chance to untarr yourselves:thumbsup:

What a great topic, refreshing and im very interested to follow this thread. I live on Parson Cross and recently became a self employed ICT Technician after 8 years in community regeneration. My OH is a Joiner (CSCS).

i grew up on the arbourthorne, now live in intake & am currently at uni on my way to being an operating department practitioner. most people from my area & where i grew up r the salt of the earth.

i live at woodthorpe, i was told after i brought my house that its well rough on woodthope. been here 2years now had no problems at all. both myself and my bf work. im a teaching assistant.

i live in woodthorpe neer castlebeck and i love it here ive never had any trouble my neighbours are lovely and its not too noisy somyimes the run down areas and where everyone is i bit skint isnt the worse thing in the world its where real friendships are and people look after one another not in the fancy areas where the ppl dont evn know there naibours names

Well im glad someone likes the thread, and its good to hear of the jobs so far. Im at home with the kiddies, and my fella is a gas engineer, so is the man next door but 1...thats what made me ask the question really tbh, i thought if my fella works and earns fairly good, cant complain about money, my whole st works, it all looks nice and crime wise...well i lived @ "sort after" woodseats before here and found it far worse tbh, so it got me wondering...Are Sheffield folk still popping certain areas in the same old criteria that perhaps it once was, and thought of finding out this way how much has changed... I know that it will no doubt always stay this way of thinking but still, we can but try ey!

i live in woodthorpe neer castlebeck and i love it here ive never had any trouble my neighbours are lovely and its not too noisy somyimes the run down areas and where everyone is i bit skint isnt the worse thing in the world its where real friendships are and people look after one another not in the fancy areas where the ppl dont evn know there naibours names
Yes I know someone who lives there and he says the same, he wouldnt move for the world, the worst thing that has happened to him in his 4yrs, is that the church people across the rd once stopped him to see if they were right in thinking he was gay lol... Not sure if it wudda been a different story had he said yes, but in fairness they were old, they prob just wanted to know, and so in old people styleee, just asked..:thumbsup: