Phoneline to fibre optic internet

I'm thinking of changing from BT internet to Virgin, who do the fibre optic cable net. Since there's no transfer on the same line, will I have any down period of internet during the change?

As in, could I get Virgin set up and THEN cancel BT? It's quite important I don't have a down time.

Has anyone made this change? Was it worth it?

bt wanted to charge me yet another 124 quid for a line to be setup (their words were signal to be sent down the line just for the phone) so i quite politely told them where to stick it.

Got in touch with virgin..30 quid setup and get it back after a month....they set it up as you want it, with the speed you want and no hassle. Id suggest going for virgin regardless of the downtime but yeah if you can get fibre go for it you will laugh at bt once your live again.

Good luck.

for the fibre optic net you need to be in a cable area (the cable is the fibre optic bit). i'm trying to remember if i had any downtime when i switched, but i can't. that probably means i didn't notice. it certainly wouldn't have been more than a day.

as with any isp, you'll find a lot of people slating them (both bt and virgin) but you have to make u your own mind.

for me, my adsl over bt line was "upgraded" but my connection speed halved. after weeks of trying to get my isp and bt to sort it i looked into ditching sky, my non-bt isp and bt and switched to virgin for tv phone and net. there's been brief outages of tv (and the sky tv on virgin issue was a bummer but resolved now) but i don't think i've had any internet or phone outages in 3 years.

There's no downtime with the switch ie BT is ADSL and down the phone line, Virgin is cabled and doesn't need the phone line so you could if you wanted to, have both running alongside

There's no downtime with the switch ie BT is ADSL and down the phone line, Virgin is cabled and doesn't need the phone line so you could if you wanted to, have both running alongside

That's what I thought. Thanks! :thumbsup: