Waldot Service Station, Middlewood Rd

I went out with Gill, Walt and Dot's daughter around 1961. I knew them as they banked in 'my' bank in Hillsborough. Spent a few eveneings at their house but can't remember where it was now - nor how I got there and back from Crosspool without car. Outer circle No. 2 I suppose.

My father had the prinz 4 then the 1200 which I inherited but we use to have the serviced initially at Meersebrook garage. Remember driving round Scotland having to get out and tap the olanoid soi it would start.

Finally got shut when they wanted an arm and a leg to replace the sills which it distributed the heating through. Spent a whole winter driving to work with coat gloves and hat on.

The Ro80 was a fantastic car, years ahead of it's time. Brilliant ZF, graduated power steering, inboard discs at the front, semi auto gearbox. With it's long wheelbase, a very comforable long distance cruiser - cruise at 100mph, all day with no drama.

Stylish ? well I reckon if you ignore the old fashioned chrome bumpers, it's still one of the best lookers around.

Sadly, NSU, had put all it's eggs in one basket - the Ro80, and the problems with the rotor seals finished-off the company - they were bought by Audi. They were also heavy on petrol, so that when the Suez crisis came around, the demand was for economical cars.

There are still a few around, the rotor seal problem can be cured.

Should add that I've has three of them.

Just came across this forum. Walter Dungworth was his name, He was my Great Uncle, and after this he owned a Mercedes dealership in Sheffield. I don't recall the name of it. The last time I saw him would have been around 1980!!

Well mjls you wont be seeing him again he died about 8yrs ago his wife Dorothy is still alive,they had Europa Cars Mercedes dealership on Ecclesall Rd and Hanover Way.

From what I remember of the Mercedes dealership, the mechanics had to keep it so clean you could eat off the floor, and it was the top UK dealership for a few years.

Ya I knew he had passed away, thinking about it, it must have been '83 that last time I saw him. The reason I hadn't seen him for so long is I moved to Canada in '84. And every time I come back for a visit I end up spending time with friends and close family.

I worked for them for around 14yrs,Walt was a perfectionist and if you didnt match up you were down the road.After i left we became friends and i saw him at Bawtry near where he lived two weeks before he died.I still see Dot and phone her quite often. cheers mel.

It's interesting to read these recollections of Waldot. In 1972 I had the idea to buy a secondhand Reliant (which I could drive on my B1 motorcyle licence) and they had a row of them for sale. But some of them had dodgy chassis etc. and in the end I bought a 1964 21E van from A & H Car Sales of Effingham Road for £425. But I was destined not to have a good track record with Reliants. I bought the van on a Monday and wrote it off on the Saturday - I well remember hearing the sad news that it was beyond repair from a senior Waldot mechanic. So I was back on two wheels (I still had my B.S.A. Starfire) and ever since my motorcycling career came to an abrupt end at a crossroads near Worrall later in 1972 I've been a pedestrian..:|

The G.R.O. index confirms that Walter died in February 2007, aged 82.

Edited by hillsbro

hi hillsboro. yes the Reliants rotted on the chassis like mad I wish i had a pound for everyone that i welded up.I really cant see us selling cars with dodgy chassis as we were a reputable dealer,maybe they were waiting for the work doing on them.Ah well looks like you wernt meant to drive or ride after all.

Any of you guys remember a guy called tony that worked has a mechanic at Waldots and at Hillsborough Garage Bramall lane in the 60's.

Edited by shakeyblade

There was a guy called Allan but i cant remember a Tony who was a mechanic,have you a bit more info.

There was a guy called Allan but i cant remember a Tony who was a mechanic,have you a bit more info.

Tony Milnes, Mick Hall also worked there at the same time, I would think it would be about 64/5 ish but I may be miles out.

They also worked together at Hillborough Garage, that was on Bramall Lane.