What happened to West Street?

Trouble is, when West St was in its prime, it was awesome, but that was when it was more difficult to get into university. Nowadays with courses in any old nonsense, You see more riff-raff getting in, and I believe this is reflected in the quality of nights out in Sheffers now.

I'm not sure the 40-50 year old meatheads the OP was complaining about are exactly university students.

Admittedly 18-21 year old home counties kids who are fairly green to drinking can also be a problem, but a different sort of one (usually involving vomit and wheelie bins).

Most students actually avoid town at weekends for the reasons the OP outlined (and because drinks are about 1/3 price on week nights).

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

The new Players Bar for example is shocking

Finally, somebody who agree's with me. Its tosh in there, full of *Mensparts*Heads :)

Wait, no, lets go, that weird group of men who are like 40 years older than us keep trying to feel us up..

You should have screamed really loudly and shouted that you've just been sexually assaulted. Let's see them squirm their way out of it then!

Finally, somebody who agree's with me. Its tosh in there, full of *Mensparts*Heads :)

I'd always assumed it was a strip bar by the look of it and the look of people in the queue :suspect:

We’ve been drinking down West Street for 30 years, and it’s most certainly gone downhill.

Back then there was only two decent places where everybody went, The Hallamshire pub and The Limit. But everybody knew everybody, and it was always a great night out with no trouble, with everybody on one of the last buses home.

There might be a lot more places to go now, but the overall quality is much worse, mainly because of the people that go there. Only just this Friday we ventured down there, when these young girls came on to us in their skimpy outfits, it must have been some sort of female Oedipus complex. But as soon as one of us touches one of them on the backside, off they trot with shouts of “dirty old men.”

Honestly, girls these days.

:roll:

:hihi:

I don't find Varsity any more pleasant/unpleasant than any other bars. You can get goosed up anywhere really.

Varsity is ok in my books, been in on more than one occasion and allways found it quite nice and uneventfull :thumbsup:

Trouble is, when West St was in its prime, it was awesome, but that was when it was more difficult to get into university. Nowadays with courses in any old nonsense, You see more riff-raff getting in, and I believe this is reflected in the quality of nights out in Sheffers now.

what absolute nonsense. for a start the vast majority of punters out down west street on a wkd aren't students (they go out mid week) and you only need to go up to Broomhill etc to see how the students at the proper university doing proper degrees can behave

Safe for me. Anybody any sensible thing to say.

I'd say Varsity was probably quite safe, I've noticed further up the road you go the nicer it gets - Tequila is nice, so is the Cavendish, just not the horrible ones at the bottom! I've only been to Varsity on Ecclesall Road though.