What happened to West Street?

I don't know if Vodka Rev counts as West St or Division St. but I used to like going there...until a friend has HIS drink spiked and ended up in hospital!

Cavendish is OK, though.

I leave town to townies......

I prefer to drink with normal people who wear normal clothes - that might be work clobber if just going for an after-work pint. It might be trainers. It might be jeans. It might be a suit. It might be a tracksuit. It might be *gasp* a hooded top. And you know what? There is never, ever, any bother. Unlike the posey places who won't let you in if you don't meet some kind of stupid dress code, to the extent that door staff are more concerned with addressing the issue of attire, than the fight breaking out jusrt metres behind them between their apparently more "desirable" clientele.

And it doesn't cost an expensive taxi either

My favourite places on/just off West Street are Dogma, bia hoi and Ivory. Do prefer Division Street with Forum, Olive, Frog and Parrot, Old House....tho the last 2 are always heaving on a Sat night! Leopold Square is fab too.

I leave town to townies......

I prefer to drink with normal people who wear normal clothes - that might be work clobber if just going for an after-work pint. It might be trainers. It might be jeans. It might be a suit. It might be a tracksuit. It might be *gasp* a hooded top. And you know what? There is never, ever, any bother. Unlike the posey places who won't let you in if you don't meet some kind of stupid dress code, to the extent that door staff are more concerned with addressing the issue of attire, than the fight breaking out jusrt metres behind them between their apparently more "desirable" clientele.

And it doesn't cost an expensive taxi either

I go out in town a lot and it is possible to have what you have described above, in town. You just have to know where to go. It's just a shame that some of the bars/pubs in town let the rest down.

sorry am i missing something?

I must be im over 30 and was never fortunate enough to go to university. Isnt the whole point of going away to uni in another town so that you learn new life experiences and how to cope with them?

Unless your planning to stay in sheffield and not swan back to the home counties with 'garstly stories about the oiks ooop north' get you heads out of your 'a**e' and mix with sheffielders.

EVERY city,town and village has pub violence 'FACT' and there are plenty of 'dodgy' people everywhere and if you dont learn to spot trouble now you never will.

Having travelled to many citys,and towns in England,Scotland and Wales belive me Sheffield is a very friendly place.

After reading all the posts most of you come accross like snobs. Mix with people from everywhere not just other students you might just enjoy it.........

I wouldn't say it's snobery. I grew up in Pontefract, which is a hell of a lot rougher than Sheffield!

I came to Sheffield to go to uni and enjoyed the night life as I did when growing up in Ponte, but now, at 29, I know what I like and what I want from a bar.

Also, as I am more settled in life, I can actually afford to drink in these places too! It's just knowing what you like.

Claret & Sqiggs

I did say 'most of you' your post i found to be more realistic.

Edited by bigsteve
spelling

What's the problem here. did you want to get touched up by younger blokes?

I'd have rather not got touched up at all, and been left to have a nice night with my girlfriends.

Surely it's a good thing that they are checking for weapons and the like. Rather than not checking and letting every Tom Dick and Harry in with knives.

Yes, your right but surely for someone to get stabbed in there they don't do a very good job of it, alternatively they only brought this in because of it.

So because people wore caps and tracksuits you didn't feel safe? Clothing is intimidating nowadays is it? Did you inspect their jewelery to see if it was real or not did you?

You tell me a nice place to go out where it allows you to wear tracksuit bottoms hoodies and caps?? Because I can't think of any.

I don't think i'm a snob at all. Like previously stated, im 19 and although i'm not a student, the two girls I was out with both go to Uni. I just like to know the places I go on a night out are safe, and I don't go out to feel intimidated and to be touched up by men. Why should I have to put up with that? Why should it make a difference whether someones a snob or not - either way they're not going to enjoy being harrassed and feeling unsafe.

West Street has been like that as long as I've known it (more than a decade). It has always been pretty tragic so I doubt it has got worse.

The Pulp song Misshapes is actually about running the West Street gauntlet to get to the safety of Division Street back in the 80s.

West Street = townie

Division Street = alternative

If you want somewhere that is a bit less studenty than Division Street but much more classy than West Street then I'd suggest the new bars in Leopold Square.

It's not always been like that - pre mid 90's townies avoided West Street like the plague - it was alternative with quality pubs such as the Hallamshire, Mailcoach, West Street Inn and the Beehive.

I've got to agree with some of the other people in this thread and say that you do come across very snobbish and seem to think you are better than everyone else.

What do you class as 'nice'?

There are many bars that have no dress code that I have drank in, and I haven't seen any trouble. How do you think pubs earn a living, it's certainly not by having a snobby dress code.

Duplicate post

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft