Traffic lights at Hillsborough Corner

If all the traffic lights are networked, how come the control centre don't know about it when it happens and get someone down there straight away?
Presumably they have to get hold of a suitably qualified engineer and organise dispatching him/her to the site. I'd guess that takes several hours. Wouldn't seem unreasonable. How long was the delay you're complaining about?

I'm no big fan of the 'Tram Gate', but why the hell would the lights being off make people think they could contravene it?

Because some people are thick?

The bus/tram gates are nothing whatsoever to do with the traffic signals. The gates have been there for what 12 years? And you're still whinging about them?

Just cause it's been there a long time doesn't make it right.

Just cause it's been there a long time doesn't make it right.

Maybe not, unfortunatly, there's nothing that can realistically be done about it. It does it's job and improves tram and bus journey times. God knows how many threads there will be in here when the council get powers to enforce box junctions, banned turns, parking, bus lanes and all bus gates by using cameras! It will be full of people moaning because they can't read signs or know the highway code!

If all the traffic lights are networked, how come the control centre don't know about it when it happens and get someone down there straight away? Do they have to wait for someone to ring up and complain? Don't they have some sort of network keepalive/ping/trap?

The Control room do know about most faults, but not all sets of signals are connected. Also, the control room is not staffed after 7pm.

Once a fault is spotted, it is reported to streetforce who have contractors who have set response times to various types of fault.

Edited by Planner1

Thanks Planner 1 for your reply. No getting at you with this one, but strange isn't it? Council can't get the synching of the lights right for a few weeks now, but are still happily taking action with fixed penalties against motorists who breach the draconian rules at Hillsborough corner with the tram cameras???? Is there any wonder our sub-urban town centre is dying when consumers are discouraged every which way from using Hillsborough centre? I repeat a previous thread - 4 cars parked ILLEGALLY on Friday on Proctor Place - Not one of them displaying a blue badge so therefore illegal and 2 of them with drivers sat in the seats - 2 uniformed members of community traffic enforcement walked straight passed them all to the advice centre in ther neighbouthood office in the Tabernacles courtyard!! Absolutely Bizarre!! Travel to the legal parkihg centres in Proctor Place - after you've navigated the pedestrians that cross our in front of you willy nilly - to legal centreas of pay and display above the old woollies or in Coop car park continues to be unregulated, unmanaged and increasingly frustrating - yet our local adminsitration do not deal with the numerous requests to deal with it, to breathe life back in to Hillsborough. Come on Joe T and Steve A - Get this mess sorted and some parking control in place for Proctor Place!!

Hmmm! Well, I have submitted your report about the behaviour of the parking attendants to the Director of Street Force for his comments. ;)

As to making the tram gates easier for everyone to live with - that is the purpose of the upcoming reduced hours enforcement experiment that has got First and Stagecoach wound up so much! :thumbsup:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd They're out again!

What a flaming farce! Can I get a rebate on my road tax/council tax/whichever tax du jour I'm being charged?

They were out this morning at about 845am - traffic was running lovely and smooth down Holme Lane.......

Yeah they were out this evening when I came through, have to say it's the smoothest I've seen traffic through there for at least a month

The problem started when the relaxation of the bus gate hours, a compromise was struck that a left hand filter onto holme lane would be fitted to get the trams through to Malin Bridge quicker. Since the filter got fitted the problems started. It appears to fail when it tries to process too much info. It will just shut down - hence it goes off totally. Whilst the engineers are trying to fix it they have put it in a mode where it handles less instructions but it appears that is failing too.