Should employers be stopped from making redundancies when making profits

So should the government legislate to stop companies making redundancies when they are making healthy profits, or should the taxpayer be forced to foot the bill via the welfare system for those unfortunate enough to be made redundant whilst shareholders see large increases in their profits.

Of course they should. While you are at it lets have worker's control of all the factories so that the clueless masses can make a mess of the lot.

How do you know what conditions your employer is facing?

Because he is a loony who has had a reality bypass.

Of course they should. While you are at it lets have worker's control of all the factories so that the clueless masses can make a mess of the lot.

I'm not sure how you've managed to link my post with your response.

Anyway, do you think an employer should be allowed to close down a healthy profit making company in order to set up in India?

So how are you defining loony, and where do you get these reality by-passes from, I've had a quick look on the internet and can't see any available.

Anyway, do you think an employer should be allowed to close down a healthy profit making company in order to set up in India?

Explain how you think a national government could possibly stop them.

Explain how you think a national government could possibly stop them.

There is more than one aspect to this question:

First of all, do people think that this should be allowed to happen- I suspect that would meet with a resounding no!

Secondly, will people expect their government to do something about it, probably yes!

Thirdly- Does current legislation allow them to do anything about it-No

Fourthly- What needs to be done to change somehting that is unpopular- Change the legislation to stop it from happening

I do not believe it is beyond our collective capabilities to be able to stop this from continuing.

I'm still waiting to hear where these "reality by-passes" are available from!

There is more than one aspect to this question:

First of all, do people think that this should be allowed to happen- I suspect that would meet with a resounding no!

I think that companies should be free to take their business to wherever serves it best.

Secondly, will people expect their government to do something about it, probably yes!

I hope people wouldn't say this, if you want to chase companies out of the UK that would be a big step in the right direction. Start contemplating laws to stop them leaving and they'll be gone before you can have it passed in parliament.

Thirdly- Does current legislation allow them to do anything about it-No

Legislation isn't the problem, jurisidiction is. How can you force a company to employ people when it's head office is in another country. Write them a strongly worded letter to complain?

Fourthly- What needs to be done to change somehting that is unpopular- Change the legislation to stop it from happening

If we could make laws that were valid over the entire world, maybe. But since we only control what happens in the UK the whole idea is obviously impossible.

I do not believe it is beyond our collective capabilities to be able to stop this from continuing.

Explain how, what are you going to do when the office is closed, the money is gone and the company is running in India? Go over there and drag people back, who, the management aren't there and were never their or in the UK.

You aren't looking for opinions. You appear to have already made up your mind on this and want to convince everyone else.

A company exists to make profits for its shareholders. It has no obligation to be a benevolent society for its workers. There are laws governing redundancy, and if the work isn't there the company will safeguard its interests by using them to tailor back its workforce.

And that just highlights the saddness of our society where profit comes first and people second.

Since the 80s we have been sold the lie that more money and materiel things will make us happier, the opposite is true in fact. Money is like a drug the more we get the more we want and there is no end to this craving.

Surely its time we realised that capitalism has had its day and doesn't work.

I pick up on shy ted's point

"But how will the company be able to keep up with orders if it lets some of the workforce go? "

Are all the rest of you having to work overtime?

Easy, take Avivas option and offshore all the jobs you can. I see they are trimming staff again for what must be the 5th year running whilst supporting call centres in India. :rant:

Yes.

If I sold boxes for £1 and they cost 50p per box to make here or 10p per box to make and ship over from India, that's exactly what I'd do.

I sell boxes to make money, not to provide a load of box makers with a job.

(I have nothing to do with the box making industry, just an example.) :P

And that just highlights the saddness of our society where profit comes first and people second.

Since the 80s we have been sold the lie that more money and materiel things will make us happier, the opposite is true in fact. Money is like a drug the more we get the more we want and there is no end to this craving.

Surely its time we realised that capitalism has had its day and doesn't work.

Money doesn't make you happy, but it does make it easier to be happy and unhappiness a lot more comfortable.

Oh and it provides better toys.

Capitalism is the best system we have, what alternative do you suggest?