Can a company demand that a low paid employee wear expensive clothes ?

I don't know how you've concluded this from my posts.

Anyway, I work in an open plan office, our dress code is very informal with no-one wearing a tie never mind a suit.

The office is air-conditioned, on one side of it the temperature is around 65-70 degrees and on the other it is around 80 degrees.

Are you seriously suggesting that people should sit around in suits in this temperature just because some pillock of a boss thinks they should.

One of the many parts of a Managers role is to motivate people, to compel them to do this in these conditions is nothing but sheer madness.

Get them to turn the air conditioning down or does it have to be on so high to keep you all warm and snug as you are sat there in your jeans and t shirts.

I think it's important that people do adhere to certain dress codes whether it's working in mcdonalds, in an office or whatever.

Out of work, I'm rarely out of jeans and tshirt but for my job that's inappropriate and the first thing i always do in a changing room for work stuff is bend over. If there is any flash of boob, next top!

You can be canny with what you buy. Often charity shops will have suits donated to them so they are worth checking out or if you are like me and like new stuff, go to Asda, primark etc. Or invest in one really quality suit and buy some cheaper trouserrs that match the jacket.

I may be wrong but if you are forced to buy this sort of stuff for work out of your own pocket, I think there is some sort of tax return thingy you can claim???

It is rather like school uniforms. People have to wear something, so the cost of wearing a uniform or a suit isn't much different from wearing casual clothes, and in many instances a great deal less. I wouldn't have a problem with wearing different clothes to go to work as I wouldn't want to wear clothes that I used for work during my social life.

If an employee cannot be bothered to dress according to the standards set by the field of business he or she is in, I would take a very dim view. It's as much about attitude as it is appearance.

Quite so. I am not sure that an undertaker in jeans and a Led Zepelin T shirt would go down to well in the chapel of rest.

If an employee cannot be bothered to dress according to the standards set by the field of business he or she is in, I would take a very dim view. It's as much about attitude as it is appearance.

what is the BNP uniform?

He could do what a lot of men do and just have one suit, bought cheap (you can get one for about £25 in ASDA or Tesco) and wear it every day until it falls apart, and buy a couple of shirts, which you can buy for about £3 a go in Primark - he won't even need a new shirt every day if he's not a messy eater and wears deodorant. It says he needs a suit, not a designer suit, after all :thumbsup:

God knows why people think suit=smart though. Most blokes look a sack of spuds in a suit.

Having just read through this thread,i think that you need to grow up a tad and thank your lucky stars for what you have,a bloody job for starters..

It is trouble causing staff like you that are a bain to employers,bet you cannot wait for Friday at 5 to come then go out and slag off the company you work for,whilst cheerily holding your grubby little mitt out for the pay packet. I suppose you are a fully paid up member of where there is a claim there is a blame brigade too:help:

An employee looking forward to the weekend?

Who does the job for money?

Who may actually dislike their job?

What's the world coming to....

Anyway, back to the OP: charity shops are great...I get most of my clothes from there- although it's true that's there is more choice for women.

I do find it ironic that so many men criticise women for their preoccupation with 'fripperies' like earrings, make-up and handbags when men are still so wedded to the sheer stupidity and ugliness that is the collar and tie. ;)

Well, that's your choice.

Some of us celebrate personal standards and a spot of decorum - it takes all sorts, I suppose.

Well to use your example, should we ever meet in court then I'll have the lawyer that knows what they are doing, who is alert and confident in the clothes they wear, and you can have the one with the spot of decorum!

And may the best man or woman in!

what is the BNP uniform?

Smart business dress. It creates an immediate impression of professionalism and credibility. Why? Thinking of joining?

Can a company demand that you buy expensive clothes for a job?

I’m posting on behalf of my brother, he is relatively low paid, yet is expected to turn up to work in suits each day.

Its catch 22, he got no spare cash, and so can’t afford expensive clothes, he doesn’t buy expensive clothes and so gets into hot water with the boss.

Basically if he did buy the suits, then he wouldn’t be able to pay for the things needed in life (ie rent)

So what can he do?

Luckily we have a Smart but Casual dress code (no clothing with logos) So I can still look presentable to the public without looking like a tramp. Though from Supervisor upwards they all tend to wear shirt & tie, Mangers still put on the suites.

As for woman that seem to get away with wearing anything that maybe considered inappropriete for the workplace.

I'de hate to be wearing a suite at work, the cheaper ones tend to be man-made fibres which itch and make you sweat in a stuff office. Plus I think people wearing suites have a slimey image and I tend to ditest that authoraterian image that the suite is supposed to create.

Luckily we have a Smart but Casual dress code (no clothing with logos) So I can still look presentable to the public without looking like a tramp. Though from Supervisor upwards they all tend to wear shirt & tie, Mangers still put on the suites.

As for woman that seem to get away with wearing anything that maybe considered inappropriete for the workplace.

I'de hate to be wearing a suite at work, the cheaper ones tend to be man-made fibres which itch and make you sweat in a stuff office. Plus I think people wearing suites have a slimey image and I tend to ditest that authoraterian image that the suite is supposed to create.

Did you get it from DFS :hihi: