Recommendation please

I am looking to buy a new digital compact camera. Needs to be point and clock I dont want to have to mess around with settings to get a good snap

I am looking for something with 8mp + (viewing back on a hd tv).

The camera I have at the mo is rubbish at taking "action" shots.

Dont trust shops so an unbiased opinion would be great.

thanks

any compact digital camera is going to have an element of shutter lag so not ideal for action shots, I would recommend getting a cheap dSLR camera

This is not true 'any compact digital camera is going to have an element of shutter lag so not ideal for action shots'

some of the higher end canon compacts are brilliant - you are looking at between £200 - £300 though so it is a possiability that it might be worth getting a cheap (perhaps second hand, although be careful with second hand dslrs they have a finite shutter life and they may be selling as its reaching that)

Although there are sacrifices with both:

Be careful with compacts too high a mp range can cause heavy noise in some situations (espcially low light ones) as the sensor is so small - I do not know tonnes about compacts as I am an slr user and have not owned one in YEARS!

although for what you do sacrifice in clarity you gain in conveineince, in that you can get them in your bag as they are not cumbersome. That said the top end compacts (not those ones that are a step before dslrs) that canon do arnt exactly small, but not huge either.

As I said noise can be a problem with compacts but it is also a problem with cheap (d)slrs. Camera's and lenses are all on teh way up due to the falling pound. so if money is a contending factor and noise isnt I would stick to a compact or the step inbetween as then you dont have to contend with buying both while they are on the rise.

All in all if action shots are what you are after going cheap is NOT your way forward... as shutter lag is going to be your enemy when taking those all important shots so if I were you I'd save up and buy wisley.

Good luck!!

Amanda

p.s. please ignore my spelling I am a photographer not a dictionary and my browsers spell checker doesnt seem to be being my friend this evening!