Colley School/Parson Cross College

My brother John mentioned your Pete the other day he thought he'd seen him one night in the Travellers at Thorpe Hesley

Not sure if he goes in there but possible, he lives at foxhill.He used to go in wadsley bridge working man's club and pubs at wadsley bridge, but a lot of them closed now.I dont see him much except for family get togethers as we live on coast.

I was with Pete at the dogs a couple of weeks ago and I see him at work a few times

No my sister was Julie Timmins, we both went to Monteney infants and juniors then Colley!

I remember you and your sister Julie, she was in my class at Colley comp. Hope u are both ok . Marcia Whyte as Iwas then.

Hi, another trip down memory lane. I first posted on this thread a while ago.

Marcia, I'm sure I knew you, did you live on Rokeby Road/Drive and go to St Pauls church? I also knew Julie Simpson, who also lived on the same road. You two were my closest friends when I was at Monteny Junior. I went to Colley Comp, and left in 1973 early, I should have left in 1974. I was Diane Elliott back then.

Do you realise that this thread has been going for over 10 years and that 3 of the pupils mentioned have just had their 60th birthdays and one of those birthdays was on the date the thread started 14th Sept

I lived on Milnrow Road in 1947. Went to Lound till 1949 then to Colley for two years, then to Barnsley Technical School; left 1955. Worked at ESC till 1966 then went to Leeds where I still am. Recently widowed. Am now 75

My aunty and uncle live on Milnrow. My uncle lived on Holgate Crescent originally Raymond Parker, siblings by the names of Jean, twins Christine and David and Sharon? Raymond is now circa 73-74 and Jean 72 this year!

thanks for your info.

Sorry I don't know any of the names.

I lived at number 30

thanks for your info.

Sorry I don't know any of the names.

I lived at number 30

Welcome to the forum Bill, I too grew up on Milnrow Rd No 25, I think my eldest sister was a friend of your sister's. Was her name Gloria? I'm one of the Theaker's, the corner house with the Garage. :)

Hi Joto, thanks for the welcome.

Yes my sister is Gloria: she is now 73 and in good health.

Sorry but I am having trouble with "the corner house with the garage".

Some of the names I remember from the other side of our road are:

South, Pegg, Czechgaret(approximately), Lindley, then on the Drive were brother and sister Val and Bruce then Atkins who had a garage which I rented from them in the late fifties.(Let me know if I am getting warm)

I can name most of the people from the other side of the road if you ever need to know.

We adjoined Atkin's, only they were on the drive. Then came Ellis's, Jackson's, Leach's, then another Atkin's. My sister Muriel was the same age as Gloria but sadly she died from cancer just after her 70th birthday. All I remember about you is you were in the army, and did you ride a motorbike?

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 20:10 ----------

Sorry I went off topic, I wonder why you went to Colley school, at our house we went to Yew Lane. Actually Colley was much nearer, I wonder how they decide.

I lived at Holgate Road Parson's Cross born there in 1954 what a cold winter that was at number 32 my fathers sister Lilly lived at 34 Holgate Road. I'm a Taylor Lilly was a Roberts and lived there many years she worked for Bassets most of her working life. There was prefabs at the bottom of our road and some of my family lived there too at that time there was no bus service and i remember the first bus sign to be put up. My father worked on the trams for years and my uncle Jack lived on the top road but died young. We use to slide down the slopes on carboard boxes for fun then and walked miles to go helping ourselfs to apples out the fields. We were the first to have a phone and had many come to use it when they needed i do have family still live at parsons cross but not seen them in years. There was plenty of fields to walk then and parsons cross was lovely to live there and up near the shops my mums family the booths lived not been in touch since i was 10. For a while we lived so many houses up the road but moved futher down to be near Aunty Lilly both familys were large there was 6 of us and Lilly had 7 children in the end. Lilly was a lot older than dad so someone might remember her sons...Glynn...Terry...Stephen...David...Ivor...June and Gillian Roberts. Anyway its getting late and i have lived near Peterborough for about 40 years and never went back to sheffield but have really good memories of Parsons Cross.

You would have lived next door to the Woodhouse's I think. I lived opposite them at 21 Holgate Road born in 51 and remember Glynn Terry & June Roberts. Around us on the road were Callaghans, Barkers, McCleans, Stanborough's, Gibsons, Morton's, Haywood's, Onions, Horner etc. Good days. We used to go on the fields behind you between Deerlands Avenue for fun, and yes scrumping apples way down the other end of Holgate Road.