Colley School/Parson Cross College

I lived on Milnrow Road in 1947. Went to Lound till 1949 then to Colley for two years, then to Barnsley Technical School; left 1955. Worked at ESC till 1966 then went to Leeds where I still am. Recently widowed. Am now 75

Hi Bill I have sent you a PM

I was at Colley Road School till 1955 (a very long time ago!) but having just read about a Mr Birch I am sure that he was the headteacher when I was there. Also, I think Mr. Ibbotson was the choir teacher (it was good to be in the choir - quite a lot of lessons missed because of choir practice). Is there anyone else who was at Colley School before 1955?

I was at Colley from 1950 to 1952, having previously been at Lound. I then went to Barnsley Tech. I remember Mr. Birch, headmaster, Mr. Shaw, deputy head (he was the first person I had ever met who was ambidextrous) He was in charge of the school trip, by train, to London to see the Festival of Britain in 1951. Mr. Ibbotson taught music, Mr. Ollerearnshaw, science, Mr. Thomoson, football, Mr. Mellor, maths. I can't remember all the others but I remember my form teacher, who was the girl's gym teacher and was always in just skin tight leggings and a skin tight top. I don't know why I would remember her.

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 15:53 ----------

We adjoined Atkin's, only they were on the drive. Then came Ellis's, Jackson's, Leach's, then another Atkin's. My sister Muriel was the same age as Gloria but sadly she died from cancer just after her 70th birthday. All I remember about you is you were in the army, and did you ride a motorbike?

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 20:10 ----------

Sorry I went off topic, I wonder why you went to Colley school, at our house we went to Yew Lane. Actually Colley was much nearer, I wonder how they decide.

Hi Joto,

I went to Colley because Yew Lane wasn't open at that time, so I presume that you are younger than me. Gloria, who is two years younger than me, and Christine, my sister who is 8 years younger than me,both went to Yew Lane.

I have remembered that the brother and sister who lived at the other side of the Atkins, were called Scott, their mother was Mary.

I don't remember anyone beyond your house except Derek Crapper, and the fact that we had a policeman living a little further on.

Sorry to shatter your recollections, but I never did go in the army; because I was still studying, I was deferred from doing National Service, which was abolished before I finished my studies. I never had a motorbike either.

Bill

hi i am shirley one of mullins family we lived on corner of holgate cres at the juction, i was born 1949 and i am sure i knew your family i remember barbras name, i think you would know my brother raymond and everyone knew our peter

Hi, I remember Ray & who could forget Peter complete with the Sanderson twins, I lived @ 75 Holgate Rd, the Hollises one side & i believe it was the Luffs on the otherside, rough old days but good ones.

Do you remember the Parker's on Holgate Cres? There was Raymond, Jean, twins David and Christine and Sharon they lived at number 76?

Do you remember the Parker's on Holgate Cres? There was Raymond, Jean, twins David and Christine and Sharon they lived at number 76?

What year, I left 1964/5 to join HM Forces, The name parker rings a bell but can't place the first names.

They were one of the first families to move onto the street. Gladys and Raymond Parker, lived there 50 plus years

My aunty and uncle live on Milnrow. My uncle lived on Holgate Crescent originally Raymond Parker, siblings by the names of Jean, twins Christine and David and Sharon? Raymond is now circa 73-74 and Jean 72 this year!
I was your grans home help in the 90`s.

If any of you bump into John Mellor assuming he is still with us then badger him into writing the story of George MBele and Liz Birkby - its a story that needs to be told and should not be allowed to die with the cast.

Amazing to see how this thread has gone over the years. I started it so long ago that I had totally forgotten about it and just today stumbled upon the thing. Nice to see so many happy recollections of the place and that people have reconnected. I finally tracked down some old friends too, Lynne Eames, who,lives on the Isle of Wight, Barbara Cotton who lives inWales and Jean Percival who still lives In Sheffield. They were my best friends through school. The only one I have not been able to track is Maxine Betts, if anyone knows her (that's her maiden name and she lived on Monteney Road and had a brother called Paul). Would love to hear from her too. We had some great times at Colley and I have many happy (and not so happy) memories. Kath

---------- Post added 30-03-2014 at 19:24 ----------

If any of you bump into John Mellor assuming he is still with us then badger him into writing the story of George MBele and Liz Birkby - its a story that needs to be told and should not be allowed to die with the cast.

You've got my curiosity going....what did happen. I heard mr. Mbele was killed but what happened to mrs birkby?

I remember you Paul, and Alan Burley, etc. I also used to hang out with Steve Gaffney and a few of his "gang". My name is Ian Riches and I went to Colley from 70-75. Lived at 49 Rokeby Drive until I left school in April 75, when my Mum died. I joined the Navy and also lived in Skegness for a few years, but I live in North Carolina now.

Hi Ian, I lived at 44 Rokeby Drive (opposite the Jennel) till I got married in 1975.

I knew Steven Gaffney very well from when he was very young and was a terrific footballer. I was born in the living room in 1952 and knew practically everyone around there, I also know Alan Burley but not from the school - through fishing!

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 19:34 ----------

was anyone at colley around 64 67 i remember some names john gallivan anita dexster kath warren jacqueline pegg pat addams josie vincent my memorey int so good now they were all in my year love to know what became of them

Hi Wackyjaki I was at Colley from 63 to 67 and know all those people you mention. Mr Mason was our form teacher in my final year. I loved the school and most of Parson Cross.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 19:37 ----------

I remember all these names (pupils and teachers). I lived on Holgate Cres and went to Colley 1963-1967. Happy days!!

Hi Kate I also was at Colley at the same time as you, and lived on Rokeby Drive, I know most of the names from one of your previous posts.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 19:42 ----------

Hi everybody Monteney 56 to colley 67, I was known as hoppy and can reel loads of names off and remember the teachers good and not so good, but i can't remember what i just went upstairs for! but thats an age thing.

Regarding the sheep and goat (hawkins & pricilla) I saw the guy who was assigned to look after them last week his name was Tony. It is great to look back and remember what we had but didn't realise.:loopy::loopy:

Hi Pete, I remember you well as I started at Monteney in 56 leaving Colley in 67.

You also went to Colley club on Remington Road if memory serves me well.:)

Hello. I married Alan Wildgoose.

I feel sure his old school is mentioned. Anyone?

---------- Post added 09-07-2014 at 20:34 ----------

He lived on Milnrow Crescent.

Hi crossowl sorry for the delay in responding but I've not been on Expats for a while , I am still in touch with Barbra Biggin and Kathlene Camm (as was) via another social media site. Yes I did go to Colley youth club and also Meynell club but ironically because I was one of the oldest of my club mates I could go to the Wordsworth Tavern or White Horse for a pint or three before going playing ping pong ( ha ha )

Ps can you give me a clue who Crossowl is