Credit Crunchie? Does it exist?

Is it really as bad as the media would have you believe? I have noticed, over the last 3 months or so, petrol, food, booze etc all seem to have fallen and very little is rising. I'm sick of hearing about it whilst also being intrigued by it. Who else feels the credit crunchie (ask Ross Noble) is not nearly as bad and all encompassing as we're being told.?

Booze and food have gone up????????

Yeh I'm wondering whether we should believe all the hype. I have noticed that my business has been picking up in the last three to four months and more people are willing to spend more money. My diesel costs have come down, I don't drink that much so don't notice the cost of alcohol that much. All in all I would say that the crunch is not a crunch at all.

It's white collar industries - banking and finance - that are suffering and Sheffield doesn't really have much of them. The service sector revolving around the universities, manufacturing and scentific-based industries are still doing ok. Things are much better up here than in London and the south-east anyway.

I think its all been created by the media personally. The doom-mongering for months on end just wore away confidence. There are no resource shortages - it is purely being caused by a lack of public confidence.

Are you lot for REAL ? The engineering and building sector is all but redundant . The only people i know thriving are in the public sector because nothing is happening in the manufacturing side.

It's white collar industries - banking and finance - that are suffering and Sheffield doesn't really have much of them. The service sector revolving around the universities, manufacturing and scentific-based industries are still doing ok. Things are much better up here than in London and the south-east anyway.

I think its all been created by the media personally. The doom-mongering for months on end just wore away confidence. There are no resource shortages - it is purely being caused by a lack of public confidence.

Re: your first paragraph - yes, for now - at least with regards to myh personal circumstances. But like an earthquake, there will be aftershock

As for the second, well, yes, there is an element of manufacturing but that just shows up the fragile pretence that the whole financial system is built upon

Is it really as bad as the media would have you believe? I have noticed, over the last 3 months or so, petrol, food, booze etc all seem to have fallen and very little is rising. I'm sick of hearing about it whilst also being intrigued by it. Who else feels the credit crunchie (ask Ross Noble) is not nearly as bad and all encompassing as we're being told.?

You better believe it exists!

Will you be going on holiday? If you're going anywhere in the E.U you're holiday will cost a third more & you'll need a third more spending money. As the £ has devalued by a third against the Euro. E.g. If your holiday cost £400 before that will now cost you £533, and you took £500 spends that now costs £666 (argh 666!!!). If you've got a family with a couple of kids & have to go school hols, you can imagine the increase this will mean.

On the other hand if you stay at home as most people will, prices will go up as all those that used to go abroad using up the available places, will mean too much demand & not enough supply! Anyone who did economics at school will know this means the trade can hike their prices!

The reason the prices are dropping is because the economy is slowing down & looks like even stopping. Zero growth. Eventually the prices will fly up as everyone is made redundant, products are not made, & the few people who want some of the products will struggle to get them. They will have little to chose from so it will mean the prices go back up sharply.

I work in manufacturing (steel works) & to be honest we are struggling like mad! Not as bad as Corus who've laid off around 800 at their melt shop In Rotherham, but nevertheless struggling. We aren't alone ask Northern Rock, Halifax / Bank of Scotland,Woolworths, XL airways, Kosmar Holidays, nearly every local pub etc.

Watch Look North every now & then they even have a running total of job losses on their program. These aren't just odd jobs going, they're in their hundreds at a time from some of the bigger firms- it's scary!

Have you been down The Moor lately in Sheffield. Seen how many shops are boarded up?

If you're lucky enough to have kept your job up to now perhaps things don't seem so bad with basic prices of food / petrol not looking too bad.

Perhaps though you could buy a Star on jobs night on Thursday & take a look how many jobs there are in there! Lucky if it fills a page.

You better believe it exists!

Will you be going on holiday? If you're going anywhere in the E.U you're holiday will cost a third more & you'll need a third more spending money. As the £ has devalued by a third against the Euro. E.g. If your holiday cost £400 before that will now cost you £533, and you took £500 spends that now costs £666 (argh 666!!!). If you've got a family with a couple of kids & have to go school hols, you can imagine the increase this will mean.

On the other hand if you stay at home as most people will, prices will go up as all those that used to go abroad using up the available places, will mean too much demand & not enough supply! Anyone who did economics at school will know this means the trade can hike their prices!

The reason the prices are dropping is because the economy is slowing down & looks like even stopping. Zero growth. Eventually the prices will fly up as everyone is made redundant, products are not made, & the few people who want some of the products will struggle to get them. They will have little to chose from so it will mean the prices go back up sharply.

I work in manufacturing (steel works) & to be honest we are struggling like mad! Not as bad as Corus who've laid off around 800 at their melt shop In Rotherham, but nevertheless struggling. We aren't alone ask Northern Rock, Halifax / Bank of Scotland,Woolworths, XL airways, Kosmar Holidays, nearly every local pub etc.

Watch Look North every now & then they even have a running total of job losses on their program. These aren't just odd jobs going, they're in their hundreds at a time from some of the bigger firms- it's scary!

Have you been down The Moor lately in Sheffield. Seen how many shops are boarded up?

If you're lucky enough to have kept your job up to now perhaps things don't seem so bad with basic prices of food / petrol not looking too bad.

Perhaps though you could buy a Star on jobs night on Thursday & take a look how many jobs there are in there! Lucky if it fills a page.

It's a trade off though. Although it is more expensive for us going abroad, it is great for the UK tourist industry (more Brits staying at home and more foreign tourists coming here).

The exchange rates are also good for British businesses exporting their goods.

The shops on the Moor are boarded up because they were compulsory purchased as part of the new developments, not because they've gone bust.

I really don't like Crunchies at all. It's the way they stick to your teeth and gums and the inside of your lips...

If you want to experience the credit crunch, try getting a 100% mortgage. The credit crunch is about credit, not about prices, inflation or deflation.

If you can't understand the difference between a lack of availability of credit and a recession then I'm not sure you're really qualified to tell us that one or the other isn't happening.

Who else feels the credit crunchie

I did notice they were getting smaller over the years and you can have them on the slate any more so crunchies are a problem on credit.

Chocolate bars and economic crisis linking post. 5 Crunchie bars for £1 at Home Bargains off the parkway. Seamless link.