Restrictive covenants are destroying our pubs.

Should pubcos be allowed to put covenants when selling village pubs.  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should pubcos be allowed to put covenants when selling village pubs.

• No. If someone want to keep open a village pub then they should be allowed to do so
    • Yes. The pubcos should be allowed to operate as they see fit

has anyone thought that the simple fact is that there are too many pubs and not enough punters these days? there are many more things to do with your leisure time now than there were 20 or 30 years ago. a pub closure is only a bad thing if it's a good popular pub closing. a lot of those that have closed have been horrible places populated by thugs, druggies and other shady characters.

You should have been in the ones in Keswick last week, standing room only. Although a bet a few of the older beardy walkers would have loved to lit up a pipe!

I do wonder about the economics of the patio heaters outside pubs. I chucked ours away because of the cost of gas. You have to weigh up the balance between any extra custom they bring along against that cost. After an initial rush, they seem to be getting fewer on the ground.

I frequent a lot of pubs and the ones I see empty are tatty and serve the wonderful choice of Carling, Tetleys and Guinness.

I frequent a lot of pubs and the ones I see empty are tatty and serve the wonderful choice of Carling, Tetleys and Guinness.

I have a teetotal friend coming round for supper this evening. Perhaps she has always been faced with such a lip smacking range and decided against drinking it. Certainly if they were the only choices available to me it would be quite a thirsty night.

I have a teetotal friend coming round for supper this evening. Perhaps she has always been faced with such a lip smacking range and decided against drinking it. Certainly if they were the only choices available to me it would be quite a thirsty night.

Teetotal and friend in the same sentence? That's a good idea for that thread about words which shouldn't be in the same sentence as each other :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Teetotal and friend in the same sentence? That's a good idea for that thread about words which shouldn't be in the same sentence as each other :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I don't see why. I know my collection of malts will be safe.:hihi::hihi:

Words that wouldn't sit comfortably in the same sentence would be foxy and teetotal.:gag:

I don't see why. I know my collection of malts will be safe.:hihi::hihi:

Ah! A very good point. Wouldn't trust my mates near my spirits cupboard. Perhaps I should go and befriend some people at an AA meet?! :hihi:

Its not the rents that are the killer,that only becomes a problem if the takings dont cover them with a profit.

You have to look at why the takings no longer cover the rent.

The smoking ban is the biggest culprit after all at the prices you need after paying.

The most regular users of pubs were smokers,they have been shut out and as a consequence the pubs are now defunked.

There are of course other factors but if you make it uncomfortable to your prime customers then i think you can expect nothing else but a decline in takings.

Non smokers may have had there way,smileling or moaning at everybody sat outside,but i know i would sooner have a smoky pub over a closed one.

Non smokers are generaly miserable moaners who drink half a pint in 3 hours while moaning about the price of food.

The most regular users of pubs were smokers,they have been shut out and as a consequence the pubs are now defunked.

Non smokers may have had there way,smileling or moaning at everybody sat outside,but i know i would sooner have a smoky pub over a closed one.

Non smokers are generaly miserable moaners who drink half a pint in 3 hours while moaning about the price of food.

Defunked? Lots of pubs are still funky, although it's not a word I'd use frequently. A mate of mine reckons clubs are defunct since the smoking ban, but doesn't extend that to pubs.

I don't smoke. I go to the pub frequently and drink my own body weight in beer, whisky and tequila. I sometime even wear a rucksack full of weights to increase my body weight so I can drink more. And what's more, from a long term perspective I'm a better customer as I won't be dead in my 60s from lung and heart disease.

Defunked? Lots of pubs are still funky, although it's not a word I'd use frequently. A mate of mine reckons clubs are defunct since the smoking ban, but doesn't extend that to pubs.

I don't smoke. I go to the pub frequently and drink my own body weight in beer, whisky and tequila. I sometime even wear a rucksack full of weights to increase my body weight so I can drink more. And what's more, from a long term perspective I'm a better customer as I won't be dead in my 60s from lung and heart disease.

No 50's from liver disease :cool:

Its not the rents that are the killer,that only becomes a problem if the takings dont cover them with a profit.

You have to look at why the takings no longer cover the rent.

The smoking ban is the biggest culprit after all at the prices you need after paying.

There are of course other factors but if you make it uncomfortable to your prime customers then i think you can expect nothing else but a decline in takings.

What a load of absolute bunk. It might have escaped your notice that 78% of the UK population DON't smoke. If smokers made up the majority of pub goers it could only have been because their stink kept non smokers away.

If as you claim the majority of pub goers came from the 22% that did smoke that means more than 50% of non smokers avoided pubs, and following the smoking ban would have had that avenue reopened to them.

Anyone who frequents Sheffield's free house real ale scene will know how crowded GOOD pubs are. There are nights when I don't attempt to go to my favourite boozers because I would not get through the door. These pubs sell good beer (in a smoke free atmosphere). They sell it at reasonable prices and they keep it well.

The secret is that

1 The landlord knows how to look after beer.

2 The landlord is free to stock decent beer of his choice.

3 The prices are not sent through the roof by paying pub co rents and pubco mark up on beer.

Just trying to get this thread back on topic...

Virtually all of Sheffield's top pubs were once failed pubs that breweries and pubcos had closed down. They were bought by the free market trade and have become both busy and the pride of Sheffield.

The reason that pubcos now impose covenants on closed pubs preventing them from reopening is because they would show what a crap job the pubcos were doing when they owned the pubs.

What a load of absolute bunk. It might have escaped your notice that 78% of the UK population DON't smoke. If smokers made up the majority of pub goers it could only have been because their stink kept non smokers away.

If as you claim the majority of pub goers came from the 22% that did smoke that means more than 50% of non smokers avoided pubs, and following the smoking ban would have had that avenue reopened to them.

Anyone who frequents Sheffield's free house real ale scene will know how crowded GOOD pubs are. There are nights when I don't attempt to go to my favourite boozers because I would not get through the door. These pubs sell good beer (in a smoke free atmosphere). They sell it at reasonable prices and they keep it well.

The secret is that

1 The landlord knows how to look after beer.

2 The landlord is free to stock decent beer of his choice.

3 The prices are not sent through the roof by paying pub co rents and pubco mark up on beer.

Just trying to get this thread back on topic...

Virtually all of Sheffield's top pubs were once failed pubs that breweries and pubcos had closed down. They were bought by the free market trade and have become both busy and the pride of Sheffield.

The reason that pubcos now impose covenants on closed pubs preventing them from reopening is because they would show what a crap job the pubcos were doing when they owned the pubs.

Pubs are crowded,ha ha yeh thats why they are all boarded up because they are struggling to rent them out,isnt that what the topic raised is about? :D