Restrictive covenants are destroying our pubs.

Should pubcos be allowed to put covenants when selling village pubs.  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should pubcos be allowed to put covenants when selling village pubs.

• No. If someone want to keep open a village pub then they should be allowed to do so
    • Yes. The pubcos should be allowed to operate as they see fit

Pubs are crowded,ha ha yeh thats why they are all boarded up because they are struggling to rent them out,isnt that what the topic raised is about? :D

Try reading my posting before commenting on it. That is if you can read.

Try reading my posting before commenting on it. That is if you can read.

This is the first question in the poll

1/If someone want to keep open a village pub then they should be allowed to do so?

Notice the highlighted word.Yet you bang on about town center pubs who have the Grace of numbers being crowded or have i got it wrong because i cant read please point us towards the crowded VILLAGE pubs you have difficulty in getting in.The only reason you wouldnt get in may be because they are boarded up.

This is the first question in the poll

1/If someone want to keep open a village pub then they should be allowed to do so?

Notice the highlighted word.Yet you bang on about town center pubs who have the Grace of numbers being crowded or have i got it wrong because i cant read please point us towards the crowded VILLAGE pubs you have difficulty in getting in.The only reason you wouldnt get in may be because they are boarded up.

This is the actual OP.

Pub companies who charge exorbitant rents are finding some pubs simply cannot be let out. Despite the fact that people want to buy these pubs, some of which might be the last pub in a village, they are prevented from doing so.

Large numbers of these failed pubs are being sold by the pubcos with restrictive covenants preventive their use for sale of alcohol. As a result perfectly viable pubs are forced to close and are sold for other uses.

Surely this should be stopped.

A good case in point is the Kelham Island Tavern. It was closed by the brewery/pubco because they couldn't get a tennant. Now it is Best pub in Britain.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Overjoyed-with-best-pub-in.5000539.jp

However if you want village pubs that have been saved (when they were allowed to be bought) you could try The Old Poets Corner at Ashover, The Britannia at Old Tupton, The Royal Oak at Millthorpe, The Arkwright Arms etc etc.

http://www.arkwrightarms.co.uk/

Sorry though non of them will let you smoke in them.

This is the actual OP.

Pub companies who charge exorbitant rents are finding some pubs simply cannot be let out. Despite the fact that people want to buy these pubs, some of which might be the last pub in a village, they are prevented from doing so.

Large numbers of these failed pubs are being sold by the pubcos with restrictive covenants preventive their use for sale of alcohol. As a result perfectly viable pubs are forced to close and are sold for other uses.

Surely this should be stopped.

A good case in point is the Kelham Island Tavern. It was closed by the brewery/pubco because they couldn't get a tennant. Now it is Best pub in Britain.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Overjoyed-with-best-pub-in.5000539.jp

However if you want village pubs that have been saved (when they were allowed to be bought) you could try The Old Poets Corner at Ashover, The Britannia at Old Tupton, The Royal Oak at Millthorpe, The Arkwright Arms etc etc.

http://www.arkwrightarms.co.uk/

Sorry though non of them will let you smoke in them.

It is truly frightening to think that a covenant could have prevented the re-opening of the Kelam Island Tavern. It is one of my favourite pubs. It just has it all.

I'm not convinced that the restrictive covenants would stand up in court if challenged. They would be classed as anti-competition and more likely than not be removed. A strong challenge on a test case by all interested parties should prove it.

I'm not convinced that the restrictive covenants would stand up in court if challenged. They would be classed as anti-competition and more likely than not be removed. A strong challenge on a test case by all interested parties should prove it.

and what about if the pub is subsequenstly sold on? How can an agreement be passed on to the new (3rd) owners.

Once the deal is done the original buyer will be away with his money and the new buyer will have no obligation to the original pub co. or am I being a bit too simplistic here?

and what about if the pub is subsequenstly sold on? How can an agreement be passed on to the new (3rd) owners.

Once the deal is done the original buyer will be away with his money and the new buyer will have no obligation to the original pub co. or am I being a bit too simplistic here?

Afraid so! Covenants are written into the deeds and run forever (if unchalleneged).

The time for the govt. to step in is WAY overdue whilst we still have the last remains of our great British institution, which was the envy of the world. Another example of sheer greed ruining our country.

What about a petition on the PM's website?

The pub companies should be broken up and the pubs sold off at auction.

What about a petition on the PM's website?

good idea.

Pubs have to evolve with the current trends for entertainment.

You can't get away with charging £3 a pint if there is nothing do except sit on the 70's table and chairs and watch a small TV in the corner.