Shearer becomes Newcastle Boss

Will Newcastle go down with their "saviour" in charge?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Will Newcastle go down with their "saviour" in charge?

• No - but I want them to go down
    • Yes - amd I'm glad they'll be going down
    • No - he's the "messiah"
    • Yes - the job is just too hard for him

This will be good news for Swami

Story here

Give my regards to Donny Rovers :D

i think this is an april fool ! :suspect:

i think this is an april fool ! :suspect:

I agree... But if it is it's really cruel to Newcastle fans! :hihi:

Its not- it was announced last night on sky sports.

plus don't you think that shearer would have been all over the radio saying its untrue?

Brave move the barcodes and shearer-he has 8 games (7 because they will loose to chelsea at the weekend) to save them or some of that shearer 'gloss' will rub off finally.

Shearer cant lose, if he keeps them up hes the messiah. If they go down the fans were expecting it anyway.

Shearer cant lose, if he keeps them up hes the messiah. If they go down the fans were expecting it anyway.

I think that's exactly the reason why he's come in now. He refused it at the beginning of the season, win win situation for him.

It should have been an april fool, Shearer has made a big mistake. He should have agreed to take over from the start of next season. I don't think the fans will blame him, but he will always be the manager who was relagated with Newcastle if it happens.

If Newcastle fans are pinning their hopes of another 'Messiah' kepping them up and bringing success they could be in for a nasty shock.

I have yet to hear any genune reaction to this news from the Toon army, but misplaced sentimentalism doesn't bode well in the face of harsh fact; Shearer is an unproven, inexperienced manager with the job of getting a big team out of the mire in eight weeks. Frankly this Flash Gordon aproach to management isn't all about saving Newcastle's premiership status - it's about Mike Ashley trying to galvanise the club and win some credit back in the hope of protecting his investment.

As others have commented, Shearer is in a no lose situation, but common sense would surely have dictated that someone with experience of these situations be bought in and have Shearer as his number two? It's almost as if they are resigned to going down and building for next year. It will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday against Chelsea, but Shearer or no Shearer, a couple more thumpings at home and the atmosphere at St James Park will be flatter than a witch's tit.

I disagree,

Shearer is held in very high esteem, if he keeps them up he will be held in higher esteem. However if they go down he will have fans very dsigruntled with him. Newcastle have a very good side, but I for one want to see them relegated because of the way they are playing football at the moment ie dirty Newcastle

Newcastle have eight games left, with Aston Villa, Liverpool and Tottenham to play away and Chelsea at home. There's also a crucial away fixture to Stoke, lose that and they could be down. A derby against Middlesbrough, and home fixtures against Fulham and Portsmouth.

Add into the mix a manager with no experience of a relegation battle to a run like that, I'd say Newcastle will struggle to stay up.

I disagree,

However if they go down he will have fans very dsigruntled with him.

Total balls. The team have had four mangers in one season. The whole club is a laughing stock and in complete dissaray. Shearer is in to give the fans a little hope in their club.

Im still unsure what a man with '0' years expierence in football management is going to come in and do that joe kinnear and his entire backroom staff with year and years of football didn't?

Its a PR stunt by the board so they can say "we did everything possible" when the inevitable happens and they are relegated for not being good enough to stay in the premiership.