Does anyone know what the black camera is on Sheffield Road?

They'll be spy cameras under the guise of "traffic management", every town and city will have them on every route in and out. In addition to your moblile phones and land lines, they'll know where you are all the time, something like 750 agencies will then have access to the data. Big brother isn't coming, he's already here.

Conspiracy theory drivel.

The Local Authority I work for has ANPR cameras and NO agencies have asked us for access to them.

The Police have their own network of ANPR cameras which work differently to the ones which Local Authorities use for traffic monitoring.

The Local Authority I work for has ANPR cameras and NO agencies have asked us for access to them.

Could or would any local authority be in a position to refuse if they did? Judging by their recent track record on using the terrorism laws to access phone records in the pursuit of relatively minor infringements, I suspect not.

Edited by carosio

Oh they just dont look like anything ive seen as been ANPR cameras

ANPR cameras can be normal cameras it is the software that is able to read the number plate.

I know this as i use ANPR software in my job and have a normal 1.8mp camera on a PDA.

The cameras at these locations cover two lanes and are better picture qaulity as they are recording moving traffic where my camera is for stionary traffic and really only effective up to about 10 metres away

They'll be spy cameras under the guise of "traffic management", every town and city will have them on every route in and out. In addition to your moblile phones and land lines, they'll know where you are all the time, something like 750 agencies will then have access to the data. Big brother isn't coming, he's already here.

Conspiracy theory drivel.

Er no. Almost spot on in fact.

The Police are trying to cover the country in these ANPR cameras because they want to record the travel movements of the entire population 24 hours a day and, currently, keep those records for two years.

Their plans [Word document] include collecting data from the following sources:

• Local authority ANPR enabled CCTV systems (for most major cities and towns)
  • Highways Agencies cameras (for major routes)
  • Police cameras (whether from mobile units, covert units or cameras in other strategic locations not covered by other sources).
  • Commercial and retail sites (especially garage forecourts).
  • Other agency cameras (eg DVLA)

So they do intend to install a vast spy network, they have installed a large part of it already, and they have stated their intention to include local authority cameras in that network.

Whether there are two separate networks in Manchester or one is rather irrelevant to the thrust of the point.

It's wrong and it should be stopped.

Er no. Almost spot on in fact.

The Police are trying to cover the country in these ANPR cameras because they want to record the travel movements of the entire population 24 hours a day and, currently, keep those records for two years.

Their plans [Word document] include collecting data from the following sources:

• Local authority ANPR enabled CCTV systems (for most major cities and towns)
  • Highways Agencies cameras (for major routes)
  • Police cameras (whether from mobile units, covert units or cameras in other strategic locations not covered by other sources).
  • Commercial and retail sites (especially garage forecourts).
  • Other agency cameras (eg DVLA)

So they do intend to install a vast spy network, they have installed a large part of it already, and they have stated their intention to include local authority cameras in that network.

Whether there are two separate networks in Manchester or one is rather irrelevant to the thrust of the point.

It's wrong and it should be stopped.

The point I'm making is that the police already have a considerable network of fixed ANPR cameras, so usually don't really need data from Council ones.

I'm advised that the cameras they use are different too. I understand the police ones can provide video images, the council ones just give number plates.

When there is an incident or an ongoing investigation, the police do go around collecting data/video evidence from all available sources, as you would expect. However, they don't have direct connections to all of these other systems or receive the data / video footage all the time, just when they ask for it.

PS I don't work in Manchester anymore, I'm back in South Yorkshire.

This version has a wide field of vision, perhaps needed at this site. The cameras are PIPS Spike2 see: http://www.pipstechnology.co.uk/products.php?section_id=5&article_id=233 for more details

I like the recent paint job! Let's paint the pole brown and try and camoflage it! I'll get a photo sometime. :hihi::loopy:

Edited by satman2222

number plate rec. So they know who is not paying car tax!

Except this system isn't linked up to the DVLA database or the police so couldn't be used for that. And the DVLA already know who's not bought car tax.

I think there's one of these cameras opposite B&Q on Penistone Road too. I didn't notice if the old ANPR cameras had gone from there.

One went up on a lamp post yesterday between wards brewery (flats) and the bus stop on Ecclesall Road. Give it a few more months and they'll have the whole city wired up.

Time to move to New Zealand I think!

Could be google earth.

there going around England taking photos of streets and peoples homes.

type in postcode and walla, you can see peoples home etc.

not a good thing.

Ha ha, is that meant to be 'Voila'? I thought Jade Goody was dead...

Edited by drumstuck

Just moving slightly of the subject on the motorway you see the signs that say junction 40 15 min this may be that they have checked no plates an timed them on cars that are now further up the motorway in front of you