House rabbit

Hello!

I am thinking about getting a house rabbit but I don't know much about how to train them. I've kept rabbits in the past and loved it but my new garden isn't very rabbit friendly. Are they easy to toilet train? Is it best to put them in a cage when I go out or overnight or can they be left in the house?

Also, are there any places that have rescue rabbits in sheffield?

Thanks,

Abbie

Hi

I'm afraid I don't have the answers to caring for a house rabbit but there is a website that deals with rescue rabbits all across the country.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk

The rspca sometimes have them in too.

Good luck

Sarah

Thanks Sarah - there's some gorgeous ones on there - I want to take them all home!

Abbie x

Hello!

I've got two and they are fine. They are very easy to toilet train and a loudish 'oi!' usually prevents them from doing something naughty!

We dont leave ours out of their cage unless we are in - they are very nosey and will investigate everything and anything, sometimes with their teeth....I've lost count of how many phone chargers etc they have gone through.

While you are out they may decide they like a new territory to take over which may mean then leaving you something on your sofa!

They are so worth it tho, its brilliant having the little buggers running about and they have such funny personalities.

Give me a shout if you need, I'm no expert but seem to be doing ok with them!

nb. I would get two at same time if you possibly can that are already friends and suitable, they are social animals and need rabbit company but introducing them later on to a new rabbit can be traumatic....

Edited by vikj

house rabbits are fantastic.:D

We have a fantastic bunny called Stewie, lives great in the house, we cage him when we go out/go to bed. He`s a proper darling, its like having a small dog in the house, he comes for a love or his belly rubbing and follows you to the loo etc.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/lyndix/jan09054.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/lyndix/feb09037.jpg

Awww those pics are so cute lyndix, i want one...

Awww those pics are so cute lyndix, i want one...

He`s a bit of a sweetheart when he`s not trying to give the dog one!:hihi:

We have two - Napoleon and Josephine.

They have a hutch outside ,but my son brings them in to run around the landing most evenings. They are clean and don't smell, which is better than my teenage sons .......

Easy to housetrain and they are real characters. just make sure there are no cables or wires for them to chew and give them lots and lots of greens to munch and they'll be fine.

We have two - they are never caged although we still have their cage as it contains the hay and their litter.

They are both very well behaved and never have accidents (deliberate acts of destruction yes, but accidents no!)

The living room is their territory and they have free run of it - we've sacrificed the curtains as chewing them is their way of conveying their displeasure!

Make sure you cover all wires (we use hosepipe - they don't like the smell or taste) as they are so fond of the odd chewage on electrical items. There is nothing in bunny reach that we don't want - the bottom of the book cases are empty as are all shelves. Never leave anything on the floor that you don't want chewed/slobbered on.

I love my two so very much - wonderful little characters and such fun to watch.

I have 2 house rabbits, they're caged when we go out and to bed. They're wonderful, don't do their business anywhere. I called mine, Daisy and Maisy, cause i'm a fool and get them mixed up. We just got a cat too, and shes brill with the rabbits. Id say get 2, they make better friends/company :)

Hi Gina! Hope everything is ok with you and Charlie! Not spoken to you in ages!

Glad to see you've gone over to the dark side with bunnies - they are just immense animals! (although mine hate me at the moment as I clipped their claws this evening and they find it most undignified)