Vikings in and Around Sheffield

Thanks, Andy. I didn't know it was a student research thing, just thought it was a topic! Viking mythology, eh? Always fancied being Thor and having a big hammer, myself ;)

There's quite a bit of Viking history round Sheffield and North Yorkshire, I've been told?

Thanks, Andy. I didn't know it was a student research thing, just thought it was a topic! Viking mythology, eh? Always fancied being Thor and having a big hammer, myself ;)

There's quite a bit of Viking history round Sheffield and North Yorkshire, I've been told?

I am fortunate enough to have my family tree which pre-dates 700ad.

The main character is Styr who's offspring Styrbjorn was a key player in the conquest of Northrumbia. He settled around Sheffield and the village of Styrup near Tickhill was on his lands.

There was only one family line and anyone with the modern name of Styring can be assured they are a descendant of Styr.

And so endeth today's lesson.:)

There was only one family line and anyone with the modern name of Styring can be assured they are a descendant of Styr.
But do they have a big hammer? :P

But do they have a big hammer? :P

Only the Males ;)

I was born a Styring too !! I also have the family tree showing the Viking ancestry, fascinating stuff it is too, written by Harold Styring .

I was born a Styring too !! I also have the family tree showing the Viking ancestry, fascinating stuff it is too, written by Harold Styring .

Hi Cousin :)

Hi There, my maternal grandmother was born a Styring too, guess that gets me some viking blood too

Hi There, my maternal grandmother was born a Styring too, guess that gets me some viking blood too

U Betcha!! I guarantee if she is not on the fanily tree her father is.

If you have any more info like first names etc I'll look for you.

Thanks but thats not necessary, I also have a copy of the pedigree, in fact ive got a couple of copies that belonged to Aunts long gone. My grandmothers name was Charlotte Styring,and I believe she was a daughter of Herbert Styring, who worked in cutlery. She sadly died prior to my birth in the early forties.

Thanks but thats not necessary, I also have a copy of the pedigree, in fact ive got a couple of copies that belonged to Aunts long gone. My grandmothers name was Charlotte Styring,and I believe she was a daughter of Herbert Styring, who worked in cutlery. She sadly died prior to my birth in the early forties.

Well there you go ! another cousin on the list ;-)

The old Ancient Britons on ye old manor could remove the wheels from a Viking chariot in a matter of seconds...............But getting them to put them back on again was a different matter. Hence no historical evidence of Vikings here. :hihi:

And by the time they'd removed the wheels the windows were removed and a stained brick work of art put in their place, the window tax will not be paid!